making windows

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theflyer

Reaction score
Hi all
Hope someone can help.I hope to replace over a period of time all the windows in my home with wooden framed double glazing.
My problem is I think I know how to make the frames but would like to get hold of a drawing to confirm what I think is the way to go about it.
I have tried trawling through the internet but to no avail.So I am hoping someone out there on this forum can help.
Thanks for any help forthcoming

Welcome to the forum. I can't help either I'm afraid.

adam

Hi and welcome.

I don't think the Internet is the place to look, quite frankly. Window making is governed by the Building Regulations and the principles are taught to anyone doing a City & Guilds in Joinery. Every window is different, so you won't find plans as such. So I'd recommend getting hold of one of the C&G course books on the subject such as the Porter and Rose (authors) books on joinery - the ones you may want are called "Carpentry & Joinery" publ. by Butterworth-Heinemann, but there are 3 volumes and I can't remember which one you need. Another useful book on purpose built joinery was also published by Alan Brett. I'll post the book titles/ISBNs later on today after I've been into work (my C&G books are in the shop). Window replacement is also notifyable under the building regs so you may need to have a word with the Building Control Officer at the local council.

Scrit

hi flyer

had 12 years making windows and doors. if i can help dont be afraid to ask would draw pic of section thought window but not good at posting pics andy

You can see the construction methods in these pics .
weekend002.jpg

weekend001.jpg

Hi all
thanks for all the replies.

Scrit
i phoned my local council planning dept and they said i could build my windows but would need to get a certificate from them which would cost me £70.50 .

If you are doing one window at a time it will cost you £70.50 per visit .
Best to do them all and then call them in .
Ask your local council for a copy of their spec on windows so you get it right .
At the end of the day its your house and the only problem will be when you try to sell . Not heard of a case yet where someone has been taken to court by the council and asked to remove all their new windows because they dont have K glass and trickle vents .

Hi

The books with the window construction stiuff in are:

"Carpentry & Joinery - 3"
Author: Brian Porter
Publ. : Butterworth-Heinemann
ISBN: 0-340-54551-8

which is a current City & Guilds approved text and

"Purpose Made Joinery"
Author: Peter Brett
ISBN: 0-748-78502-7

Although the latter appears now to be out of print.

Scrit

I can recommend Scrits choice, Carpentry & joinery 3. It's part of a 3 book series and all 3 books are worth the money, there isn't any glossy pretty pictures to look at. But the drawings are excellent.

It's a paperback book which in my opinion is a good thing because anyone interested in manufacturing joinery products will be thumbing the pages on a regular basis in the workshop.

It gives detailed drawings and descriptions on tradional windows, from standard casement to splayed bays to sliding sash windows & more.

The book then moves on to show & tell how to fit the windows when you've made them.

Windows is just a part of the book as it covers stairs, doors, frames, gates, fabricated buildings and a whole lot more. Anyone starting out in the world of workshop joinery could do a lot worse that read this book IMHO.

It's been reprinted at least 5 times to my knowledge which speaks volumes for a niche market book.

Highly recommended

Latest posts

Back