Making veneers flat again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onlinename

Established Member
Reaction score
So this might be a dumb question, but I bought some veneers online and the seller said that there was a high chance that they would arrive warped and indeed they did.

Furthermore, they warped even more in my workshop.

So my question is this: is there a way to get them to become flat again?

I mean I know veneers are meant to glue onto other pieces of wood which would make them straight I guess but in this case I want to glue it onto plastic using a two sided adhesive 3M tape.

Is there any hope to get it flat then?

Many thanks for your help guys

Have a look for veneer flattening recipes online. There are endless variations, usually involving a weak glue and glycerine before pressing the veneer.

I've had great success using the glycerine mixture to flaten several kinds of veneer, including some very wicked Oak and Maple burls.

Yes, it is not all unusual to find veneers looking like a poppadom.
Soaking and pressing does work BUT they are likely to buckle again when released from the drying press and very quickly, too. As in a matter of minutes. I have serious reservations about your plan to stick them to plastic with DS tape. What are you trying to achieve? Perhaps we can point you into a more fruitful direction?
S

You might try one or two of the recipes and methods described at this link to my website: http://www.richardjonesfurniture.com/Ar ... eneer.html

As Steve said, I don't think you're likely to be very successful sticking veneer down with double sided tape. I think you'll need to use glue and press it down, eg, PVA, cauls, and clamps, or some other normal method. Slainte.

Latest posts

Back