making mitred half lap joints

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I would not endorse the machinery operation.

But I think I will make my next picture frames based on this method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CscUFrlinY4

(Myself) came out of plaster last week after nearly eight weeks but not yet fit enough to work in the workshop, unable to stand for long periods until I recover my strength on both legs.

That has got to be about the scariest thing I've ever seen on a Tablesaw.
How he still has all his fingers is a total mystery. (although they do look as though they could have been grafted on!!)

jimmy_s":1va06hf1 said:
I can hardly watch some of the Videos on Youtube

have a look at this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWipXcTIzyg
Ho. Lee. She. Ite. :shock:

I've seen some daft things done on a table saw (and done some daft things myself on a router table)... but pushing an unsupported round log lengthwise over the top of an unguarded table saw freehand. Man. That is quite simply the dumbest thing I think I've ever seen. Perhaps the 0 comments on the video are because people are simply too shocked to post.

I couldn't decide between that or the chap ripping halfway along a plank before lifting it off, blade still running, as scarier. Not much in it I suspect.

I watched the bandsaw secret box one last and by comparison it seemed an almost reasonable approach. Must have been desensitized by the other two!

Sporky McGuffin":aehqj1vq said:
I couldn't decide between that or the chap ripping halfway along a plank before lifting it off, blade still running, as scarier. Not much in it I suspect.

I watched the bandsaw secret box one last and by comparison it seemed an almost reasonable approach. Must have been desensitized by the other two!
Indeed; the bandsaw box seemed pretty fine to my eyes by then :wink:

jimmy_s":1jnu5sdl said:
I can hardly watch some of the Videos on Youtube

have a look at this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWipXcTIzyg

Excellent, thanks for the link. As somebody new to the woodwork lark I was wondering how to cut that 2m long by 25cm diameter holy trunk up I acquired from the neighbours. Thanks to this helpful YouTube video it is now clear the answer is to do it freehand on my tablesaw.

Now of course, whilst I am new I know better. But I do watch a lot of YouTube trying to learn technique, so what worries me is that maybe there are people out there who see this and think it is safe. At least as worrying is what else am I watching and thinking it is safe for me to copy!

Terry.

Wizzard, that's how they used to do it on a table saw in the old days and with a 24" blade out in
the open. I suppose the blood cleaned up easier that way when accidents happened.

devonwoody":2t9ts5wd said:
Wizzard, that's how they used to do it on a table saw in the old days and with a 24" blade out in
the open. I suppose the blood cleaned up easier that way when accidents happened.
I believe it was also mandatory to be having a smoke whilst leaning over the saw; preferably with a few open cans of flammable liquid close by :wink:

Latest posts

Back