Making handsaws.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Pedder,

following your link I arrived to this site:
http://www.woodworking.de/schaerfprojek ... rfen1.html

Unfortunately I do not speak German, but, judging from photos and drawings, it seems a very good treatise on hand saws geometry and sharpening.
Can you confirm that this is an excellent source of information?

I think you have the technical and language skills necessary to translate it into English.
Don't you have the time and desire to do so? I'm sure that you would make many people happy, myself included.

Auguste

Auguste Gusteau":dyor3amr said:
Hi Pedder,

following your link I arrived to this site:
http://www.woodworking.de/schaerfprojek ... rfen1.html

Unfortunately I do not speak German, but, judging from photos and drawings, it seems a very good treatise on hand saws geometry and sharpening.
Can you confirm that this is an excellent source of information?

I think you have the technical and language skills necessary to translate it into English.
Don't you have the time and desire to do so? I'm sure that you would make many people happy, myself included.

Auguste

That's quite ironic - the guy who made the site says there's lots of info in English, but not much in German, so that's why he made the site!

I don't know enough German (and neither does google or babelfish) to read the text, but the diagrams are magnificent, and show concepts that are only partially described elsewhere.

BugBear

Auguste Gusteau":1c20ytws said:

Hi Auguste,

I asked Friedrich if he would answer himself and he asked me to publish his response:
I wrote and published this saw sharpening tutorial some years ago to meet
the need for a paper written in German. Everything available and useful was
in English then and not accessible for those german woodworkers who are
not at all familiar with this language (and there are many of that kind). To
translate it into English would not make much sense because a number of
english speaking woodworkers much more experienced than me have
published great stuff about saw sharpening. You better stick to them.

Friedrich Kollenrott

My personal opinion:

Friedrich's tutorial is the most detailled saw sharpening instruction in the
world. It is overfull of information. And it is metric :wink: I can't say; if it is the
best instruction because that is a question of personal taste. Some like a
more detailled instruction and some like a short instruction.

The most important value of this instructions is: It introduces FLEAM to
German woodworker. He even invited a new word for this: Schrägung. I'm not
sure if there's need for another English saw sharpening instruction, but there
was a need for a German instruction.

And no, my language skills are nowhere near enough being able to translate it.

If there are questions to special points, I'm pretty sure that Friedrich will answer them.

Cheers
Pedder

Sam Peterson":2kiqvnvh said:
Making saw handles is a lot of fun! Some of us on the OLDTOOLS listserv went about producing different versions of saw handles. The Panther saw was the most popular and my favorite was the flying eagle handle. Where I come from, it didn't happen if you don't have pictures so here they are: http://galootcentral.com/index.php?opti ... &cat=10358
Hi Sam,

Welcome to the forum :D
We love pictures here as well, your link was caught by our spam trap it will stop once you have a few more posts to your name.

Latest posts

Back