Making Fexible MDF

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prologus

Reaction score
I want to bend a 700mm * 2400 sheet of 6mm MDF along its length in order to attach it to a frame with shaped formers. The final shape calls for the "peak" of the curve to be 150mm above the edge of the MDF. I am pretty sure that glueing to the formers will put too much strain on the MDF and that the answer is to run a number of kerfs along the sheet and then glue to the formers. Have any of you tried this? How deep did you make the kerfs and how far apart did you set them?

Or is the answer to use 6mm ply?

Easier to just go and by a sheet of flexi MDF or flexi ply.

The problem with cutting your own is finding a thin enough kerf sawblade and the obvious problems of guarding the blade

J

The advantage of cutting the kerfs yourself is that you can put them just where you want. If you have a TS55 they are easy and quick to do, Trend do a thinner blade than the standard one in the Craftsmans line.
If the curve runs right the way across just buy a sheet like Jason says or if the radius is large enough do a couple of layers (or 3) like Terry suggests.
The bend wont look as crisp in ply, I don't know if that is important to you or not.

Latest posts

Back