Making end grain chopping boards - flatening end grain

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure your starting stock is square, and all accurately sized.
Chop off your individual blocks, and glue them together inside a snug-fit temporary frame on a base board. (Kitchen foil stops glue sticking to the base. )
Clamp with folding wedges and check it's all flat before setting aside to dry.

You shouldn't then need dowels etc.

Yes BB. That's how I would do it if I was making a long-grain chequerboard or breadboard. But I am talking about an end-grain butcher type block, made with plain, equi-sized blocks. I did it my way for a side table using very thin squares.

Come to think... It might be a good idea to orient the blocks in a 'stretcher-bond' fashion, like a bricklayer lays bricks.

Regards
John :)

Benchwayze":3uzvo27v said:
Yes BB. That's how I would do it if I was making a long-grain chequerboard or breadboard. But I am talking about an end-grain butcher type block, made with plain, equi-sized blocks. I did it my way for a side table using very thin squares.

?? But the board he demos IS end grained, not long grain.

If you want a pure grid, just use (long) square stock instead of (long) rectangular stock. The cross section of the beams becomes your sections in the final end grain product.

BugBear

bugbear":s4tpwoh2 said:
Benchwayze":s4tpwoh2 said:

?? But the board he demos IS end grained, not long grain.

If you want a pure grid, just use (long) square stock instead of (long) rectangular stock. The cross section of the beams becomes your sections in the final end grain product.

BugBear

Yep! I plead the 72nd amendment. I am getting old, and I overlook detail.

John :mrgreen:

Chems":vb42noq5 said:
You can watch our very own OPJ make a cutting board on his blog too:

http://ollypj.wordpress.com/

As a personal thing, I prefer text + pictures over video for most things. I'm a fast reader, and can easily select the parts that interest me.

With a video, it's much harder to be selective, or even "pre-skim" to see if you want to take in the detail a second, slower, time.

BugBear

bugbear":1t7gw2wq said:
Chems":1t7gw2wq said:
You can watch our very own OPJ make a cutting board on his blog too:

http://ollypj.wordpress.com/

As a personal thing, I prefer text + pictures over video for most things. I'm a fast reader, and can easily select the parts that interest me.

With a video, it's much harder to be selective, or even "pre-skim" to see if you want to take in the detail a second, slower, time.

BugBear
I used to be a fast reader too BB. That's why I miss things now though! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

John :)

Back