Making dowels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dowel plate.
But it need to be set into the top of your bench permanently, unlike most of the examples above.

Or if it's only the odd one or two, a little jig

f191.jpg

You mark you blank each end with the diameter ( a wad punch is handy here), drop it into the jig and plane down to the lines.

I have made 9 mm walnut dowels with a drill and a simple jig using a jigsaw blade.

I got the idea off the tube.

Fine for small runs.

Thanks for all the replies. I just need smallish ( 40mm) ones. Steve's jig looks good and I can make them from the exact stock. Thanks for all the other suggestions as well. Geoff

Here is the simple dowel jig made from a jigsaw blade. It can be used for a range of different sized dowels.

You just have to be careful with the positioning of the blade to get the right size.

IMG_20140618_220219.jpg

IMG_20140618_220240.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20140618_220219.jpg
    IMG_20140618_220219.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_20140618_220240.jpg
    IMG_20140618_220240.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 212
Metal plate with a hole in and a mallet, bash it through, square peg into a round hole ;-)

Pete

3mm minimum 10mm is ideal, the smaller size of plate the thinner it can be, you can mount on a block of wood with a clearance hole for extra support.

Pete

Try Izzy Swan on you tube, he drilled a hole in a bit of metal and then roughened the edges with a dremel tool. square the wood blank and fit end into a drill. Stick the other end in the hole, turn on and shove forward, very good dowels according to him. Sorry for the somewhat strange language but I can't write the letter between o and q, its a right ain !! (beer and keyboards do not mix )

aul

vice like grip":34kurmjv said:
Tim_H":34kurmjv said:
I have made 9 mm walnut dowels with a drill and a simple jig using a jigsaw blade.

I got the idea off the tube.

Fine for small runs.

You tube has some very useful videos.

Any in particular? As I understand it, YouTube has quite a LOT of videos :D

BugBear

Back