Making Bradawls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Hope this is the right section for this topic.
Bradawls is 'and tools, I suppose, but 'mekkin' 'em might be for the general chit-chat section. So apologies Mods if I transgress...

Anyway Folks,

I need a new set of bradawls. I did have a nice set of four different sizes, but they went walkabout. Probably due to ill-treatment by me. (I.e I lent them to people.) I also want to make a book-binder's pricker (No jokes though, eh? :mrgreen: ) for a friend as a surprise gift. (Definitely no jokes eh? :p )

The pricker is no problem as I have an old screwdriver I can use. It isn't the finest steel, but I am able to heat-treat up to a point. :oops: (No pun intended!) So I don't think there's any problem there. Except maybe finding a nice bit of Box, Elder or Yew for the handle.

I could use old drivers for the bradawls too, but I would then have to go and buy screwdrivers, which would kinda defeat the object!

So should I cheat and use appropriate sized nails for this job, or should I buy some carbon steel rod. (I think I'd have to buy a lot more than I need.) The nails I already have kicking around the shop, (Mainly because I am getting shaky and clumsy and I keep spilling them everywhere!) So has anyone made a bradawl/s, what did you use, and how did it serve?

Now that was a long winded post, just to ask if nails are suitable to make the tangs of bradawls!
All input will be appreciated and my thanks in anticipation.

Regards

John :)

If you want to do a really trad job, I think you'll find that a bradawl tang was quite flat so that, after it was in place in the handle, a hole could be drilled through both handle and tang to insert a transverse pin. The idea being to lock the blade in place and resist twisting.

But now that we have masonry nails and epoxy resin, I think that alternative methods would be fine!

Hi Andy,
Thanks for that.

I still have the last one of my set, but it's worked loose in the handle. The tang was heated and flattened into a small 'nib' that was supposed to stop the 'blade' from twisting. Evidenced by the fact it came lose, the practice didn't work; in the small size at least! :D

:idea: Where was my thinking! Masonry nails! Of course. I have some of those spilled about too if I ever decide to sweep up!

Cheers.

John :wink:

Hi, John

You can also use Silver steel, it comes in a range of diameters and 300mm long its quite cheap, you should get quite a few out of a lenght.

Easy to heat treat with a blow torch.

Or how about those small allen keys that seem to mulitply, they would resist twisting in the handle.
I have made knives from them by heating them up and flattening them with a hammer.

Pete

Racers":32g6hj15 said:
Hi, John

You can also use Silver steel, it comes in a range of diameters and 300mm long its quite cheap, you should get quite a few out of a lenght.

Easy to heat treat with a blow torch.

Or how about those small allen keys that seem to mulitply, they would resist twisting in the handle.
I have made knives from them by heating them up and flattening them with a hammer.

Pete

Silver Steel... Of course... My little ol' grey cells are diminishing by the dozen... (12 in old money!)

Allen Keys! Yes... Although I spilled those too. The tobacco tin dropped on the floor!
It's a thought, although I don't know how many spares I have. Really must have a sweep up!

So now it's the 'flea-bay' looking for some nice timbers for the 'andles; 'awlandles'!

Thanks Pete. Much appreciated.

John :D

No skills":3gne0x6g said:
Intended use? A resounding no to that :)

Ahhh No-nails then?

I would use them for intended purpose, but only with a compressed air nail-gun!

Which has to be hired of course!

Benchwayze":3irjg8mi said:
So now it's the 'flea-bay' looking for some nice timbers for the 'andles; 'awlandles'!

Seriously, I'd have thought that for little tiddly bits like awl handles, a walk in the woods would be a better bet!

A nice twisty billet of hawthorn would be ideal.

Out with the lathe to make a matching set of handles and some surplus masonry nails was my solution, epoxy has been strong enough for my use.
awl.jpg

Someone who came to me wanting some of a larger diameter variety and small handled draw pins also brought along a selection of worn out posidrive screwdrivers of various diameters which I ground down and re-heat treated.

Attachments

• awl.jpg
    awl.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,784
AndyT":vqvebiga said:
Benchwayze":vqvebiga said:

Seriously, I'd have thought that for little tiddly bits like awl handles, a walk in the woods would be a better bet!

A nice twisty billet of hawthorn would be ideal.

You are quite right Andy. However, all the 'woods' near to me are Council owned. (They commandeered all Common land. Maybe that's what the arrogant, ignorant so and so's thought the word Common means! )
I am sure I would be unlucky enough to get nicked if I took any pieces of wood away.

Cheers John

A nice looking awl Chas. The turning is clearly that of one who knows what he is about. If I do half as good a job, I'll be happy. Thanks for the info. it's all being kept in mind.

Benchwayze":2126mart said:
No skills":2126mart said:
Intended use? A resounding no to that :)

Ahhh No-nails then?

I would use them for intended purpose, but only with a compressed air nail-gun!

Which has to be hired of course!

:) only when I have to, cant beat rawlplugs! :)

I quite like the suggested old screwdrivers for reworking as bradawls, must be dozens hiding in draws around the country (hammer)

CHJ":mgcajno3 said:
Out with the lathe to make a matching set of handles and some surplus masonry nails was my solution, epoxy has been strong enough for my use.

Someone who came to me wanting some of a larger diameter variety and small handled draw pins also brought along a selection of worn out posidrive screwdrivers of various diameters which I ground down and re-heat treated.
That's beautiful, and coincidentally I'm after one as well. I already have round point and chisel head awls but I'm after a square-sectioned one, like this Irwin one:

_21128_169936.jpg

Rather than just buy one, however, I'd also like to make one or convert an old scewdriver into one. So I'll be watching this thread with interest. :)

alan2001":122elxk5 said:
CHJ":122elxk5 said:

That's beautiful, and coincidentally I'm after one as well. I already have round point and chisel head awls but I'm after a square-sectioned one, like this Irwin one:

_21128_169936.jpg

Rather than just buy one, however, I'd also like to make one or convert an old scewdriver into one. So I'll be watching this thread with interest. :)

I always knew this tool as a birdcage-maker's awl. I found it very accurate, but again, I loaned mine out!
I have learned my lesson BTW!

To make a brad awl ...

Take one HSS 1/8" or 3/16" drill bit. Chuck it into a power drill with the smooth shaft extended out of the drill. Shape a round taper by spinning this against a turning disk sander. Now reverse the drill bit in the drill and bore the drill bit into the handle of your choice. It should be something that you can use to exert downforce. This will create a tight join.

You end with this:

awl.jpg

Now grind quarter flats at the tip of the tapered bit on the disk sander. Done.

Regards from Perth

Derek

To make a brad awl ...

Take one HSS 1/8" or 3/16" drill bit. Chuck it into a power drill with the smooth shaft extended out of the drill. Shape a round taper by spinning this against a turning disk sander. Now reverse the drill bit in the drill and bore the drill bit into the handle of your choice. It should be something that you can use to exert downforce. This will create a tight join.

You end with this:

awl.jpg

Now grind quarter flats at the tip of the tapered bit on the disk sander. Done.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I don't have a disc sander Derek... :cry:

But that is a good idea if I can use the side of my old waterstone wheel.

I'll 'hexperiment'! Thanks.

CHJ":2lnekz60 said:

I made my own out of a wooden-handled screwdriver, I have yet to heat treat it tho. I sawed flats onto the handle on it and a jab saw handle so they don't roll off whatever bench or ledge I set them on when out working.

Latest posts

Back