Making Beech worktops.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Senator

Established Member
Reaction score
Steamed Beach worktops.
I have to make up some 57 thick Beech Worktops done in five 130fin board widths. My intention is to glue and biscuit them together therefore any of your opinions would be welcome on what glue to use Cascamite first comes to my mind but then there are the PU glues and PVA etc.

personally I'd run a 9mm groove in them and use a 9 x 30mm spline, instead of biscuits. Stopping the groove if the ends are visible. I just use PVA.

How long,wide and thick are the tops ?
The glue to use will depend on the size of the tops and how much 'open time' you need to glue, before clamping.
I would use a liquid PU glue and no biscuits, to glue all the biscuits will take much time, and PU adhesive is so strong that they are not necessary.

How long,wide and thick are the tops ?
The glue to use will depend on the size of the tops and how much 'open time' you need to glue, before clamping.
I would use a liquid PU glue and no biscuits, to glue all the biscuits will take much time, and PU adhesive is so strong that they are not necessary.
The longest is 2.05

On the subject of glue, cascamite is a better choice than PVA which can soften if heat as in a hot pan is placed on top.

Tip fed to me by a turner who stated cascamite is better when gluing up as the heat produced when turning can soften the glue.

I personally think it wouldnt be a problem, but it is a fair point.

The last one like this that I made was longer and thicker and used stopped splines as Doctor Bob said, I used pva glue but only did 3 planks at a time, two reasons, one was the time element and the second was at that width I could still get them through my thicknesser. But as you said, it’s a kitchen worktop and I wouldn’t use PVA anywhere near a sink. Ian

Let's see if I've got this right? You plan on edge jointing five 130mm wide Steamed Beech boards to produce a 650mm wide kitchen worktop?

The first thing that occurs is that Beech isn't the most stable wood in the world. To get a permanently flat surface I'd prefer staved construction, ie where the thickness of each stave is approximately equal to the width. If you can stipulate quarter or rift sawn Beech, or if you can self select from waney edged boards, then that'll improve matters, but it's a banker's bet that commercial Beech will be flat sawn.

Second thing is that personally I try and avoid any biscuits or splines when edge jointing. If I've jointed two sub assemblies to the maximum width of my planer/thicknesser and I'm jointing those then I might sometimes pop in the odd Domino or biscuit for location, but by and large I've never found it necessary.

Regarding glue, I'd use good quality waterproof PVA like Titebond. The only concern isn't so much water as heat. PVA will let go once you get anywhere close to boiling. The big trade off you get with glues is joint lines versus other adhesive properties that you may want. PVA gives the best glue lines, certainly with the kind of clamping pressures you'll likely have at your disposal. Beech is a fairly pale timber, and nothing would look worse than a dark glue line.

I see you live on the Isle of Wight, if you ever take the Yarmouth ferry to the "north island" then at the other end you'll pass by my workshop. Feel free to drop in and I can show you examples of glue lines in a range of timbers with different adhesives.

Good luck!

I tried using Cascamite in the summer, a couple of years ago. Used it on some Western Red Cedar. I mixed it properly. It just didn't bond. Maybe it was past its use by date? Don't think so though. Never ever had problems with Cascamite before.

I think it was the timber which probably has something in it, (Like Teak) which the glue didn't like. I ended up using EvoStik exterior PVA,

HTH

John

Let's see if I've got this right? You plan on edge jointing five 130mm wide Steamed Beech boards to produce a 650mm wide kitchen worktop?

The first thing that occurs is that Beech isn't the most stable wood in the world. To get a permanently flat surface I'd prefer staved construction, ie where the thickness of each stave is approximately equal to the width. If you can stipulate quarter or rift sawn Beech, or if you can self select from waney edged boards, then that'll improve matters, but it's a banker's bet that commercial Beech will be flat sawn.

Second thing is that personally I try and avoid any biscuits or splines when edge jointing. If I've jointed two sub assemblies to the maximum width of my planer/thicknesser and I'm jointing those then I might sometimes pop in the odd Domino or biscuit for location, but by and large I've never found it necessary.

Regarding glue, I'd use good quality waterproof PVA like Titebond. The only concern isn't so much water as heat. PVA will let go once you get anywhere close to boiling. The big trade off you get with glues is joint lines versus other adhesive properties that you may want. PVA gives the best glue lines, certainly with the kind of clamping pressures you'll likely have at your disposal. Beech is a fairly pale timber, and nothing would look worse than a dark glue line.

I see you live on the Isle of Wight, if you ever take the Yarmouth ferry to the "north island" then at the other end you'll pass by my workshop. Feel free to drop in and I can show you examples of glue lines in a range of timbers with different adhesives.

Good luck!
Thanks for your input the thickness of the 130mm boards will be 57mm so should stay flat. The customer does not want narrow staves hence the 5 widths.
If as you say I glue two and then one at a time I could use 30 minute Polyurethane glue with a few biscuits to get glued up quicker.

Back