Making an octagon tips

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B3nder

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm re handling a load of old tools, and decided that I'm going with London Pattern. (I know some people disagree regarding form over function). I've seen Alfs tutorial on making the handles, however I'm struffling with repeatability using hand tools.

I don't have the luxury of a band saw, so make the octagon as follows:

Square stock up.
Mark the centre of the square.
Set dividers from one corner to centre point.
Use this to mark 2 points on one face.
Then use marking guage set to this distance to mark the length of stock.
Then plane to lines by holding in the vice.

Any suggestions as to how to make this a bit more repeatable, either that or I find
a band saw/table saw and sort them out that way.

Cheers.

B3nder

B3nder":1v4z9wgc said:
Square stock up.
Mark the centre of the square.
Set dividers from one corner to centre point.
Use this to mark 2 points on one face.
Then use marking guage set to this distance to mark the length of stock.
Then plane to lines by holding in the vice.

Any suggestions as to how to make this a bit more repeatable
The method you've outlined there is basically what I was going to recommend, I think consistency is just a question of practice. The video on this page might be of help: Octagons Made Easy.

I would suggest one minor change and that's using an octagon-planing jig for holding the workpiece when knocking off the corners. It's possible to get very repeatable results using one of these with no prior marking up, with layout lines to work to very neat octagons should be easily achievable.

I put the hole in first so the handle is turned around the hole, then plane the octagon freehand - a mil here or there will no difference. You will end up throwing work in the bin if you finish the handle then drill the hole ... unless you don't ming the blade being off centre. Damhikt.

You can of course use the rest to mark the eight lines for a guide if you have an indexing facility (assuming you've turned it round first).

If you don't have a lathe to do as Phil suggests, you could make a simple handle maker's clamp. Like a lathe, but with no motor and smaller. Just a pair of uprights, fixed to a horizontal board or your bench. One end has a sticky out bit to go into the hole in the handle - this could be a wooden peg or a bolt. At the opposite end, something similar but adjustable by screw thread or wedge to hold tight. All arranged so the workpiece is right at the top, accessible for planing.

Until I did a set for SS (which the recipient couldn't be bothered to post pictures of) I didn't realise how comfortable they are.

DSCN2280.JPG

SSCN2276.JPG

This one was made to use not to look at so is uncomplicated.

Attachments

• DSCN2280.JPG
    DSCN2280.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 825
  • SSCN2276.JPG
    SSCN2276.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 825
Cheers for all the replies.
The easy octagon is the same way that I layout mine.

As suggested I drill the tang Hole first.

I'll have a look for some octagon planing jigs as I think that may yield the repeatability I'm looking for.
Also it will mean I can make them a bit quicker.

Thought I should add my attempt.

handle.jpg

I've since sanded it and now just need to oil it.

Attachments

• handle.jpg
    handle.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 711
B3nder":1aha17fc said:
Thought I should add my attempt.

I've since sanded it and now just need to oil it.

very nice - I've been thinking about doing a lot of rehandling myself for a while but couldn't really make up my mind on shape. Without a lathe I guess london pattern makes the most sense.

Latest posts

Back