Making a strop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westfield

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just got hold of some leather to make a sharpening strop, what is the best way of fixing the leather to the wooden backing, contact adhesive?
Having never used a strop before, which side of the leather do I use, the smooth side or other?

Thanks for your help

Hugh

If anyone wants to make a strop I have loads on off cuts of leather from various projects in the past - My upholsterer always gives me the off cuts!

Wow Roger, what an offer. Be careful you don't get knocked down in the rush!

You're a top bloke. Willing to referee the Great Sharpening Showdown and this offer on top.

I've sent you a pm.

Steve

Mister S":1fyxxpvi said:
Wow Roger, what an offer. Be careful you don't get knocked down in the rush!

You're a top bloke. Willing to referee the Great Sharpening Showdown and this offer on top.

I've sent you a pm.

Steve

If anyone wants a piece of leather send me a Stamped addressed envelope, my address is on my website and I will get a piece in the post to you!

Rog

I use and supply (sorry can't compete with free) leather from the bend of the cow that's exported to china for the razor manufacturers - it’s about 3 to 4 mm thick. I recommend glueing it with Titebond III to a quartersawn stable timber, rough side out (for coarse stropping) fine side out for finishing. Once the glue has cured I treat it with baby oil to open the pores in readiness to except the honing compound - I use Veritas.
The other strop I use is my hand for removing the wire edge but be careful, you can't buy a replacement.

Glad you posted that, I have some leather and was wondering if it was too thick to make a strop from. If you can use 3-4 mm without any problem then I'll go ahead with mine.

Dodge":32li0tcp said:
If anyone wants to make a strop I have loads on off cuts of leather from various projects in the past - My upholsterer always gives me the off cuts!

PM mate :wink:

No skills":2c76ohw9 said:
There is another way to make a strop. Just tell my 2.5 year old that its time to turn cbeebies off.

:roll:

Now where is the "like" button!!

Luckily past that stage in the Berwick household - unfortunately now in the "whatever" period though :evil:

Dodge":o4lji4qv said:
Luckily past that stage in the Berwick household - unfortunately now in the "whatever" period though :evil:

Feel your pain there, little 2.5 has 19.5 step sister ( :shock: ), dont worry though "whatever" - "who do you think you are" - "dont tell me what to do" etc lasts only 7 years.

Peter Sefton":2wvu4aw0 said:
Westfield":2wvu4aw0 said:
Peter, thanks for the comprehensive reply, I have enough leather for two strips so will have one facing in either direction.

Hugh

No problem

I have a 3 year old and a 4 year old so I can get strops in either direction as well :!:

Cheers Peter

:lol:

It gets worse, I asked the wife if she had any baby oil and then had to explain I wanted to put it on my leather to open the pores................................yeah right!!!!!!

Back