Mahogany Longcase - WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the names Roger, I have a project to make a wall clock using some Oak that was supplied by my great grandfather to my father in the 1930's that has been awaiting my attention.
If I get my act together I would like to think that any movement that went in it would last the next generation out.

Well after a break of a couple of weeks whilst undertaking training and other small projects have today been able to get back to the clock for a day or two before the Easter break.

Started by getting the plynth for the base of the trunk machined and duly fitted

DSCF6256_zps5c8723a2.jpg

And then turned my attention to the head section initially getting the side panels already made glued up

DSCF6252_zpsf4d1f908.jpg

Once in the cramps and having been there for an hour or so suddenly realised that I had ommited to cut the sound fret in the side panel so this had to be done when the cramps were removed.

Having marked out the correct positioning the aperture was cut using the scroll saw

DSCF6260_zpsa2d82fe6.jpg

And a framework was then made to fit the aperture

DSCF6258_zps9879e259.jpg

Before being fitted into the side and the brass fret cut to fit

DSCF6264_zpsfb46c422.jpg

With the sections completed the head was glued up before I left this afternoon to pick the kids up from school

DSCF6265_zpsdbebdab5.jpg

Will be back on it tomorrow and will hopefully get the head completed and the doors for the trunk and head made also.

Reading the comments about modern movements made me chuckle, currently sitting opposite a 1760 long case clock with its original movement. I suppose it might need a service in a few years but that is it. Case is oak with fruitwood banding as decoration and a beautifully figured door. Keeps perfect time just have to remember to wind it every evening (30hour movement). The tick tock gives the house a real heartbeat and it sounds strangely silent when we forget to wind it and it stops in the early morning.

StarGazer":2a0c5hc1 said:
Reading the comments about modern movements made me chuckle, currently sitting opposite a 1760 long case clock with its original movement. I suppose it might need a service in a few years but that is it. Case is oak with fruitwood banding as decoration and a beautifully figured door. Keeps perfect time just have to remember to wind it every evening (30hour movement). The tick tock gives the house a real heartbeat and it sounds strangely silent when we forget to wind it and it stops in the early morning.
I went to see the clockmaker yesterday afternoon: ours is well underway (full restoration of the clock itself). It's an eight day, with a single chime, long case, Edinburgh, circa 1795.

We had the case done a few years ago, but the clock hasn't run for about 50 years. There's a lot of work in it, including re-silvering the whole dial. I'm getting quite excited about it now, and even my dad is too, although it was he who stopped running it. He says it had to be in the lounge and he didn't like the tick!

E.

Ps: Roger: brilliant, as ever. I especially like the surround for the fretwork -sets it off really nicely.

Sorry for the delay in updating this - life is rather hectic at the moment!

Anyway at the last update I had just started gluing the head section together

DSCF6267_zps4096c93e.jpg

and having assembled this the door was made, the upper curved section was mortice and tenoned into the side stiles whilst the lower joints were mitred and strengthened with veneer keys

DSCF6271_zps24ec15b7.jpg

The door for the trunk was also made and the basic construction is now complete other than the top finials and carved detailing to be applied to the arch at the top of the trunk door.

DSCF6279_zpsc9e21b17.jpg

DSCF6278_zpsec33cc3e.jpg

DSCF6275_zps388280be.jpg

DSCF6286_zps9e594e35.jpg

DSCF6283_zpse9761a89.jpg

DSCF6282_zps081eeea0.jpg

The ply where the dial will go is purely a standard size rod (template) as I am yet to get the actual movement as the clients cannot make up their minds what to go for but we are now actually looking into the acquisition and restoration of an old 8 day movement which can be refurbished

There is still a considerable amount to do to the case and was expecting to see the clients over Easter but due to the weather conditions in the Midlands they were unable to get here and have now gone abroad for an extended period so will be putting on hold for a few weeks until their return.

Such a pity the project has to be mothballed after such a quick run to this stage, do you envision any problems, wood shade match etc. with having to delay the finishing.

Must be very frustrating having the two unknowns of movement selection and subsequent project end target pinned down.

Personally I am hoping they go with a new Kienninger HS (Copy English movement) rather than a refurb of an old one as could be up to a year to get the refurb done properly.

Regarding finish colour the whole case will be stained so I am not envisiging any problems at all as they are looking for a deep antique Mahogany finish.

If they don't go new will look to get finished and mothballed until movement arrives - obviously duly paid for!!

Will see, they are back in UK last week of April and have confirmed they will let me have a decision - still in contact by email.

mailee":fgo4o1hz said:
That really is looking nice Rog. Can't wait to see the finished clock. :D

Sorry Allan, you will have to wait a little!!

But remember what your Mum told you - Good things come to those who wait!!

Latest posts

Back