Mahogany Longcase - WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok so I havn't posted one for a while so here we go.

I made a clock some years ago for a client and have been asked to make a similar one for a close friends parents as an anniversay gift later in the year. I am planning on using it as a show piece at a couple of upcoming events before delivery so will have it for a while once completed.

I have had a number of large boards in my store for some time and have decided to utilise these and brought them across from my store ready for use

DSCF6030_zps778bf471.jpg

DSCF6032_zps86829a8f.jpg

I decided to start today by turning the spindles for mounting on the sides of the trunk of the case

DSCF6075_zps9a0b89a9.jpg

and once turned the spindles were cut down the centre giving the two required halves, a straight batten was glued to the square ends of the turning to enable a straight cut to be achied against the fence on the table saw

DSCF6082_zpsca3942c6.jpg

DSCF6083_zps31bc98cd.jpg

DSCF6086_zpsa03747b6.jpg

With the splits turned, I then turned the pair of columns which will be mounted on either side of the head of the clock

DSCF6089_zps5b0ccee4.jpg

DSCF6090_zpse6f07ef9.jpg

With the pair turned, as these will mount on the corner a quarter needed removing and this was very carefully done on the table saw, unfortunately this procedure requires the removal of the riving knife and crown guard so extreme caution is required when cutting, it would have been alot easier to remove the waste on the spindle moulder but I wanted to keep the section removed to use on the back of the head of the clock.

DSCF6092_zpsef130b6a.jpg

DSCF6096_zps70d311bf.jpg

Will get on with it again tomorrow, but am planning on completing this over a longer period between other jobs etc so will update as work progresses - will be on it for the next few days at least.

Basically the clock will be very similar to this one, this was made in cherry with carved thistle detail as it was for a Scottish couple - these photos show the clock case unfinished but will give you an idea of how the finished mahogany clock will look

UnfinishedCherryLongcaseClock_zpsd850511b.jpg

IM000229_zps129b29f4.jpg

HeaddetailofunfinishedCherryLongcaseClock_zps0b503867.jpg

dodge,

forgive me i am not a turner, and this is comparing your half columns with some of Norms...

is there any reason why you turned it then took the risk of cutting in half, compared with Norm doing something similar, but double taping 2 pieces together, then turning it and splitting? I hate cutting finished items- slicing a lid of a box still fills me with dread!

mark

Cutting the spindle once turned is straight forward and I have never had problems doing it - I have never tried taping bits together but with the spindle being quite thin is places can only think it would induce more vibration or chance of it breaking.

As long as you leave a small square section at the each end of the spindle turned then you can simply stick a batton onto the waste with a drop of mitre glue which give a good straight edge to run against the fence - Works for me Mark

should i ever attempt anything similar, i will try it your way first then!

Very nice work Rog. I have used your system for cutting turnings in half a couple of times, I think it would be easier this way rather than trying to turn two sections taped together. I have to ask though how on earth did you cut the quarter round out using the table saw? that must have been a tight cheeks moment. :lol: Also how was the thistle carved on the first clock, or was it a commercially made one? looking forward to the rest of the build. :D

Hi Alan, thanks

The thistles were hand carved.

The quarters are cut having first removed the riving knife and crown guard :shock: and then I made a sacrificial cradle which both supports the work as you cut it and enables hands to be kept well away from the unguarded blade.

Removing the riving knife isn't a problem in this instance as you are not cutting completely through the timber and there is negligible chance of binding. With the saw set to the correct height, and fence set at correct distance quite straightforward.

Just make sure the quarter being removed falls to the opposite side of the fence to prevent it getting damaged after the second cut has been made.

Before I hear you all cry "no crown guard, and no riving knife" they were immediately re-instated as they should be!

marcros":136q3i0l said:
dodge,

forgive me i am not a turner, and this is comparing your half columns with some of Norms...

is there any reason why you turned it then took the risk of cutting in half, compared with Norm doing something similar, but double taping 2 pieces together, then turning it and splitting? I hate cutting finished items- slicing a lid of a box still fills me with dread!

mark

I'm sure I've seen a Norm where he has used the paper joint method for split turnings. Start with to halves and glue them together, but with paper between. Works well.

Looking good Dodge, been itching to make something out of mahogany myself.

JH

Looking wonderful as ever!

For something with as many components as this, what do you start with as a design?
- A full-sized drawing?
- Something in Sketchup?
- A rod or two?

Andy, I have made a few to a similar design over the last few years and have drawings with basic dimensions which I modify for each case, alot of it is being done from memory to be honest.

Anyway today I have cracked on with the sides of the head and trunk sections starting with the split turnings and their mounting section, initially a couple of lengths of timber were machined to 40mm square in section before being cut down lengthwise at 45 degrees and the cut surface planed smooth. The split turns then had their ends cut off at 45 degrees on the mitre saw

DSCF6109_zpsd6ab50e7.jpg

A piece of the 45 degree sections was also cut to form the corresponding face for the split turn again using the Mitre saw, by cutting the opposite parts from the same saw blade setting you know that an accurate fit will be achieved.

DSCF6111_zpsc917d74c.jpg

The sections were re-glued and the excess planed off leaving the ends of the section just under the 40mm square section from which i originally started

DSCF6114_zpse6acbf83.jpg

The split turn sections were then complete, other than having the turnery glued into place but ready to prepare the rest of the side onto which they will fit in due course

DSCF6117_zps643fd908.jpg

Frames were them made with mortice and tenon joints at the corners

DSCF6119_zps8ca55988.jpg

DSCF6123_zps78495a5f.jpg

Before panels were machined with a traditional fielding

DSCF6126_zps06235ccc.jpg

After some fine tuning the side panels were then completed, not yet glued together but ready for further attention tomorrow.

DSCF6146_zps0b2e7a0c.jpg

DSCF6151_zps90bbdeb5.jpg

DSCF6152_zpsf3bb63af.jpg

Hope you approve so far!

Hi Roger

Great WIP - I'm watching this with interest as my next large project is destined to be a longcase clock, (going to go the whole hog and make the movement too).

Regards Mick

Back