Magnetic whiteboard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirky

Reaction score
Hello all

I'm new here, sorry if this has been asked before (not quite figured out the search tool yet)

I'm looking to build a whiteboard for use in the school where I work. However, I cant find the material I need for the actual writing surface. It needs to be magnetic and writable and wipeable, using whiteboard markers and rubbers respectively. Anyone got any ideas where I could buy such a product, in the UK and preferably online. I would only need one sheet about 800 x 500 mm.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kirky

Whiteboards are primarily made out of two materials: melamine or porcelain steel. Porcelain steel whiteboards are intended for moderate to high or long term usage. The porcelain construction is much less susceptible to ghosting effects. These boards are manufactured with a steel background which allows for magnets to be applied to them.

Since I'm assuming you won't be able to apply enamel/porcelain to steel yourself, you'll need to find some alternative.

If you don't wnat to buy steel, there's a magnetic paint around which might come in handy.. but probably isn't so great for wiping off drywipe marker... http://www.lazyboneuk.com/store/pro256.html

There's also a whiteboard paint that could come in rather useful... but I haven't been able to find it in the UK... http://solutionsmb.com/046~MB3000_Whiteboard_Repair/

Lastly.. you may find this helpful...
http://rumkin.com/reference/whiteboard/

most local shop and vehicle sign shops sell a magnetic flexible sheet for fitting on van or car sides which can be removed.

in general it is white one side, and coloured the other. obviously needs stretching for your purpose, but would think it a decent way to go.

have been thinking for some time of using it to help with assembly of certain things using rare earth magnets.

paul :wink:

I have successfully used the side of an old cooker as a white board. I think it was steel, maybe a couple of mm thick, and was coated with bright white paint which drywipe ink just rubs off of. Being steel, magnets should stick without a problem.

It was a long time ago and I no longer have it, or I'd measure it for you. At a guess, though, it may well be possible to get the 500x800 that you need from a single cooker panel. Maybe try your local tip? If you need to cut the panel, an angle grinder may be your best bet, but make sure you smooth off and/or enclose the sharp edges that will result.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Neil

I was after this recently too. The cheapest ones I saw were actually in "Stationary Box" - not sure if you have one near by. They were under £10 - which was a lot cheaper than what I'd seen elsewhere.
Cheers
Gidon

Kirky, I'm a practicing teacher. Whiteboards of all sizes are freely available from the usual Audio/Visual and Educational suppliers in Yalla Pages. Try also Gratnell's the library suppliers and such places as CPC and RS. All these outlets would be very expensive though. BUT....be friendly, (suck up) to as many teachers/caretakers/maintainence Staff as you can. They will inevitably know of turnover of such items and skips or stores can be raided with their compliance. I got an 8' by 4' one to rip in two for infeed/outfeed tables - cost me a pint!

The 'magnetic melamine' may only be on one side and the iron content may be minimal so some of the magnetic aides may not adhere well.
Take care.

Sam

Fecn":30pse0k8 said:
If you don't wnat to buy steel, there's a magnetic paint around which might come in handy.. but probably isn't so great for wiping off drywipe marker... http://www.lazyboneuk.com/store/pro256.html

Haven't tried that make but the one I used to make a magnetic board for my little girl was absolute rubbish.
Loads of coats and it won't even hold a lightweight fridge magnet. I even tried adding a load of iron filings to one coat but it was no better

I thought of making a white board for the workshop by using just the sheet of metal from an old fridge door and putting a wooden frame round it to finish the edges.

Should not cost more than a couple of pounds too make.

A larder fridge will have a door bigger than 800x500.

Hi Kirky

I cut down all the whiteboards in my daughters school recently to make wall space for the new interactive ones. As a result I wound up with a whole 8' x 4' sheet of the stuff leftover. You're welcome to a chunk of it if you're near me (handy to put your location in your profile), only trouble is it's not the magnetic kind.

Mind you now that Sam has mentioned outfeed tables,
:-k
hmmm............... :idea:

Mark

Thanks for all the replies.

I had considered magnetic paint, but will definitely disregard now, thanks
I was thinking melamine originally but an old fridge door or cooker side sounds like it should work a treat.

Not sure if my local council will allow me to scavenge though - those days seem long gone.

MarkW, thanks for the offer but I think you're about 300 miles too far south for me (in Teesside). Get started on those outfeed tables!

Thanks again
Kirky

Kirky":3biixlf2 said:
MarkW, thanks for the offer but I think you're about 300 miles too far south for me (in Teesside). Get started on those outfeed tables!

Thanks again
Kirky

pipper - took my old 5' high fridge freezer to the tip about two weeks ago...and I work in Thornaby,so can't be too far away from you (unless you were walking,of course :wink: )

Andrew

Back