Magnetic knife block advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whittler1507

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm thinking of making a monolithic style knife block for SWMBO, something similar to this.
b02056a01522738bd0e55c6c6e424996.jpg

I was wondering if anyone has made one and what strength / size of magnets to use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1.

however to be helpful to the OP, I would go for rare earth circular magnets, so that you can use a forester to make the hole. I would slice a veneer from each face of the block, fix the magnets and glue back on the veneer. the veneer will reduce the pull of the magnets quite a bit, so i would aim for a pull of about 3-4kg. you could always test it before gluing the veneer back and add more if required.

Thanks Marcros, I'm not sure of the reduction that a few mm of space between the magnet and blade would give, hence the question. Have you made such a thing?

Yes, because they are ugly when you're using that particular knife. Plus, it takes away that 'magic'.

whittler1507":1scjcvhj said:
Thanks Marcros, I'm not sure of the reduction that a few mm of space between the magnet and blade would give, hence the question. Have you made such a thing?

not as such. i did make something with an embedded magnet, and was surprised at the effect that a mm or two had. i would also use several magnets, but i think that you will have to experiment.

Another reason for multiple magnets ... Reaching for one knife and dislodging the other three, resulting in a test of your dancing skills.

I've made a good few wall mounted block types with magnets in a stopped dado in one piece of a 2 part oak/ash sandwich. Not the same as what you're after but these are the magnets that worked for me: http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/291335971308?_mwBanner=1

Rectangular worked well in a slot and I'd use them 2 deep (as in stacked) with 2mm of wood between magnet and surface.

I'd definitely use a few in a row as you want a knife to just stick without fudging around trying to find the sweet spot. Also, watch out for how you fix the magnets (you may not need to with this design though). Any glue between magnet and wood will lessen the magnetic force... I learned this the hard way ;) FWIW, I ended up laying them in situ and hot gluing them from behind.

Make a box fill it with bamboo skewers and slot the knives in, much safer.
I made a horizontal one for my knives that lives in a draw it works very well.

Pete

Thanks everyone, I like the look of the mag block I'll post some pics when I get round to it. The kids are back in school tomorrow so I should get some play time to experiment.

Source of magnets:

If you have any old PCs around, or more specifically, old hard drives - you can dismantle them and you will find some awesome rare earth magnets in there.

I did that and use the magnets to hold chisels and the like.

Magnetic force does fall off more rapidly with distance than you'd think. It's not an inverse square law like gravity or charge. It's something like an inverse third power with magnet to steel, and an inverse fourth power with magnet to magnet. Something to do with magnets always being dipoles and never monopoles, and with induced magnetism in the steel.

(I looked into it when I was making an on-off magnetic switch for a micro adjustment rip fence gauge.)

Ian down london way":30hbcjqw said:
Source of magnets:

If you have any old PCs around, or more specifically, old hard drives - you can dismantle them and you will find some awesome rare earth magnets in there.

I did that and use the magnets to hold chisels and the like.

I've used those for various "one off" purposes, but for making a knife
holder I'd want a large number of identical small magnets, which old drives
won't (sadly) supply.

In this wonderful age we live in, rare earth magnets are cheap.

BugBear

It looks very nice but the actual sharp edge of the blade, held by a magnet looks as if it's accessible. How about a slight recess so the cutting edge is below timber level and not such a danger with children around?

Malcolm

Whittler1507,

Here: http://e-magnetsuk.com are a decent range of magnets in case you are looking for ideas/reference of what sizes and 'forces' are available.

I purchased a few of the 2" round magnets with a centre hole from these people about a year ago to have in the workshop to use for jig making. I have not got around to using them yet.... they have a fair range of sizes and some appear pretty strong.

Thanks everyone but as always SWMBO has set some design considerations, so instead of making one monolithic block the design will be kind of stone Hengey, with a series of walnut blocks, which to me makes the whole thing more of a challenge, and more fun I suppose.

I still need to order more magnets and then crack on, I'll post something when I gave it done ish.......

Thanks for all the ideas stopped dado sounds like the way I'll go with this, and hope to mount the blocks on a piece of slate.....

Back