Made use of a technique from Jacob

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bugbear":2x94nlp7 said:
As to the sarcasm - I was genuinely crediting you as a source of useful information. Your response is truly graceless. BugBear

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Had me scratching my head there 'cos I couldn't see anything sarcastic. Thought I was missing something obvious!
Maybe only a "troll" would see it as such? :wink:

Bob

Thats seems such a simple clever idea ! The amount of times I've got my estwing hatchet and missed the kindling while moving my hand quickly then hitting the concrete floor.
Cheers for posting, although will take the excitement/ risk of losing a finger out of making kindling now :cool:

Coley
P.S , how was the spindle blank Jacob ? Did it do the job o.k ?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

ColeyS1":3mrh52fi said:
Thats seems such a simple clever idea ! The amount of times I've got my estwing hatchet and missed the kindling while moving my hand quickly then hitting the concrete floor.
Get a chopping block, saves your axe and saves your back too

ColeyS1":2kek76et said:
T.....
P.S , how was the spindle blank Jacob ? Did it do the job o.k ?..
Spot on thanks. Did the job following day. Simple handrail for a staircase, to match existing. I'll try to post some snaps sometime.

phil.p":2zgff1yb said:
Convex bevel?
Without a doubt. Not joking - that's how it's done - you couldn't do that controlled cut I showed above if there wasn't a rounded bevel. Worst of all would be hollow ground.
It's about time everybody realised that convex (ish) bevels are the norm. All this b....x about primary, secondary, flatness, etc is the new orthodoxy written by the new boys on the block, who make it up as they go.

paul saunders":3bw8dlz6 said:
So then, what's the best way to sharpen a axe. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

You may be curious to know that my bill hook, used for kindling, has a very particular sharpening; it's a rather steep bevel, and it's one of the few edges that would suffer in performance from being sharper. Essentially, I want it to EITHER split the kindling cleanly, or ... not go in at all.

Fine, sharp bevels can stick into the work, whereas a steep, not too sharp, edge has just the properties I need.

BugBear

A bit of knowledge imparted to me at an early age by the Old Joe Haffner, the blacksmith at Lineholt worcs.
When I asked if I could sharpen a chopper on his big hand cranked sandstone wheel.
Told me yes but it would be quicker using dads bill hook slip stone.

Back