Machining Ovolo Moulding With Fillets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pollys13

Established Member
Reaction score
See attached photo:

How would I do this , assume I would run a rebate first then machine the moulding?
Seem to be plenty of sizes of Ovolo router cutters but not much of a choice when it comes to spindle knives. Does this mean I should thinking of having a set made up with matching limiters? Or do I make up the the mould profile by using only part of a knife profile then adding fillets from another knife,sort of building up the shape, seems to be quite a lot of accurate setting up going down that route.

Or is to do with using a large diameter spindle Ovolo cutter, as it has the same radius all around, would I move the cutter in deeper to get the Ovolo size I want, if so, what about the fillets?
Cheers.

Attachments

• Scribed Joint .jpg
    Scribed Joint .jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 131
If you have a look at the Whitehill catalogue you will find that there are cutters with limiters which cut both rebate and mould in one pass or others which can be run together with a 125mm rebate block to give any size of mould you want.

The photo to me looks like a sash section for single glazing.

There is an important difference, single glazed sashes usually have the mortice and tenon in line with the moulding. That means that the flat part of the moulding should be the same width as the mortice chisel, traditionally either 1/4 , 3/8 or 1/2.

In a double glazed sash, there isnt enough room for a big flat on the moulding, its usually reduced to help fit in the the double glazing unit. Therefore the elongated Ovolo typical of traditional windows is not suitable for double glazing. Modern window have a more shallow ovolo, sometimes just a radius

It also means the mortice and tenon are in the rebate instead.

Also -the photo shows a joint that is not scribed but is going to be mitred, like a masons mitre. That is straight forward when the quirk of the moulding lines up with the rebate, but not so obvious when a rebate for double glazing is formed, since that is likley to be 16mm-18mm

The Whitehill system is great and makes setting up much easier, however it does mean a big cut -only possible with a fairly powerful spindle.

Mike Jordan":3tvo028r said:
If you have a look at the Whitehill catalogue you will find that there are cutters with limiters which cut both rebate and mould in one pass or others which can be run together with a 125mm rebate block to give any size of mould you want.
I have a Trend rebating cutter 125 X 60 X 30 that I bought to practice making up the window design Coley very kindly gave in a tutorial
OK great, thanks, should start to get clearer. Spindle is 100mm so don't know if can stack up or if my spindle has enough oomph. Then again might be able to use a less high rebating block?

RobinBHM":19zr4jcg said:
The photo to me looks like a sash section for single glazing.

There is an important difference, single glazed sashes usually have the mortice and tenon in line with the moulding. That means that the flat part of the moulding should be the same width as the mortice chisel, traditionally either 1/4 , 3/8 or 1/2.

In a double glazed sash, there isnt enough room for a big flat on the moulding, its usually reduced to help fit in the the double glazing unit. Therefore the elongated Ovolo typical of traditional windows is not suitable for double glazing. Modern window have a more shallow ovolo, sometimes just a radius

It also means the mortice and tenon are in the rebate instead.

Also -the photo shows a joint that is not scribed but is going to be mitred, like a masons mitre. That is straight forward when the quirk of the moulding lines up with the rebate, but not so obvious when a rebate for double glazing is formed, since that is likley to be 16mm-18mm

The Whitehill system is great and makes setting up much easier, however it does mean a big cut -only possible with a fairly powerful spindle.
Thanks again for a knowledgeable, helpful reply, appreciated :)
" The Whitehill system is great and makes setting up much easier, however it does mean a big cut -only possible with a fairly powerful spindle " Mine is single phase just under the 4hp limit, would that do the job?

Back