M&T joints in green oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWatters

Established Member
Reaction score
Currently waiting for planning permission to build green oak framed shed the size of a single horse stable. Will eventually need to cut some large mortise and tennon joints for the frame and wondering how best to go about it. The frame will be 6" square oak.

I can see how to cut the tenon with a circular saw and hand tools but what's the best way to do the mortise? Can't really justify buying a machine.. is hiring a chain mortiser the way to go?

Hi CWatters,

not sure about the answer to your question but it seems like the sort of thing Nick Gibbs would cover in his new magazine. Sorry, can't remember the name of the mag but he is a member on this forum.

Cheers,

Dave

Just use a beam drill to drill most of the waste and a large chisel!
One time i considered buying a chain mortice attachment available in the US for a radial arm saw.It was only around 200$US.Far cheaper than a dedicated chain morticer.

I use a 20mm auger bit in a SDS+ drill to take out most of the timber then chop the rest out with a chisel either a proper framing chisel or the axminster all steel ones work well. The 20mm bit is also just right for peg holes.

If you have a look at this pic you can see where I started drilling for a mortice in the wrong place, noticed the error after 4 holes which were filled with pellets :wink:

Also worth making a large mortice gauge, mine has a 300mm long rebated stock so it runs easily along the rough timber and uses drywall screws for the pins.

Jason

yep - drills and chisles.

AFAIK green oak cuts like cheese :) so no worries !

I worked on a rather large Japanese style oak timber framed house some years ago, and we first drilled out our mortises with a very heavy duty hand drill and a 1-1/2" saw-tooth bit, and then refined and cleaned up the mortises with chisels. Lotta work but quite doable.

Allow for shrinkage across the grain; for instance, if you plan to pin your tenons, wait some months for the mortised piece to dry a bit before drilling and pinning to avoid having the wood shrink away from the tenon shoulders (held away by the pin).

Back