Lutyens bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
It's a beautiful day and I am dreaming of what I shall build when the workshop is done.

Does anyone have a Lutyens bench? If so, how comfortable is it? I'm a firm believer in form following function, especially for seating, and that means comfort.

I ask because I used to have a garden bench that was a pair of ornate cast iron ends joined by oak slats. It was old, probably Victorian and it looked lovely. It was impossible to sit on it comfortably. I don't want to go to all the trouble of making a beautiful Lutyens bench if I find I don't want to sit on it.

Any experiences, anyone?

The designs sold seem to vary a bit; some of them have backs where the horizontal parts of the back aren't flush with the verticals, which has got to be uncomfortable. There are a few with vertical (non leaning) backs. Blech.

Most have a "park bench" seat, i.e. rails across shaped ends, to give a curve, which has at least the potential to be comfortable.

But I haven't see ONE (in a few pages of GIS) with a back that isn't a flat plane, which can't (surely) be comfortable.

Making the top rail for a curved back would be "challenging" of course.

(I noted a fair amount of stylistic and detail variation in the designs too, by the by)

BugBear

The good ones are beautiful aren't they. It's a project I've also thought about, and if I had a few hundred acres of manicured parkland to put it in I'd probably have built one by now!

Seriously, I do know a craftsman who made one for a client and has since sworn "never again", despite using good quality timber it rotted within five years and to preserve an important customer relationship he rebuilt from his own pocket, he said the Lutyens design he used was a water trap and several key joints were pretty much sodden year round.

I'm not that bothered about the water issue, TBH, as, if I make one, it will be against the front wall of the workshop, under the eaves and in full sunshine. Yes, it will get rained on a bit, when it is windy, but it will generally be quite sheltered. It's more the comfort issue I am concerned about.

Steve, I made one about 15 years ago for a client. My only complaint is that the seat was not deep enough and the back too upright. the client was happy and has it as a centre piece in his garden. I will try and remember where the plans are.
It is a nice project to do. I keep fancying doing a Titanic Deck Chair

I sat on one yesterday at a small hotel. Almost certainly a modern hardwood lookalike from a garden centre.
It was really uncomfortable. Not only because of the flat, square edged back but also because of the "rolled" ends which presented square arrises at awkward angles.
I suggest you do an image search to find one in a park or stately home near you that you can visit with camera and tape before you make one especially if it is to a modern "equivalent" plan.

I made this from English oak several years ago - it's a Porch Glider which gently rocks.

057695135d7f9f82cd753b4bd5150a1e.jpg

Kept outside in all weathers it looks like this but no rot:

deb36a245f248f5c14a278e871a682ec.jpg

This Steamer is very comfortable - made from oak and a Norms design:

f3cd6835c29095fd5390dcc15eaf565b.jpg

Rod

I like the pictures Rod. At the risk of hijacking Steve's thread where did you get the metalwork for the Steamer?

Thank you gentlemen all.
I think trying to find one in the flesh is a good idea.
I do have concerns, obviously (or I wouldn't be asking the question). The alternative is to design my own. Perhaps a cross between a Lutyens back and Adirondack arms (essential, really, for a G&T).
S

Steve Maskery":1j2dncto said:
Thank you gentlemen all.
I think trying to find one in the flesh is a good idea.
I do have concerns, obviously (or I wouldn't be asking the question). The alternative is to design my own. Perhaps a cross between a Lutyens back and Adirondack arms (essential, really, for a G&T).
S

I would have thought a little fold out shelf that fits under the arm and between the seat would work. The problem with putting the G&T on a wide arm is that you may knock it off when you dose off. Only a theory mind not that I would know!

Steve, I have had a look for the design I used. It was based upon Fine Woodworking July/August 2000. It was definitely more form than function.

Looking through an old magazine I came across an advert for this company, you might find some inspiration.

Cyan

"Cyan is a leading producer of high quality teak garden and leisure furniture for distinguished homes, luxury hotels, spas, resorts, local authorities, schools, restaurants and clubs. We are competitively priced, have a strong commitment to bio-diversity, sustainable growth and where possible use FSC certified timber in our products."

Steve

You are more than welcome to the Luytens bench I bought back from a customer, who asked me to repair, only a couple of years old, falling to bits,
and the most uncomfortable seat I have sat on, gave up on the repairs.

It is languishing in my garden at the moment, destined for the wood burner.

I, like Harbo, made an oak bench, from a magazine article, years ago, surprisingly comfortable.

DSCF0697.JPG

I have since made some wings, to fit on the side of the arms, for the refreshments!

Attachments

• DSCF0697.JPG
    DSCF0697.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 26
LOL!
That is the sort of feedback I wanted, but not wanted to hear, if you know what I mean.

However it is kind offer, and if you offer to swap the L for the one in your picture, I will gladly accept.
:)
That is a very nice garden bench.
S

Back