lunchbox thicknesser chip extraction?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paddy Roxburgh

Established Member
Reaction score
HI, In am thinking of buying a "lunchbox" style thicknesser for use at home, I already have a spare 8" planer at work which I can take home. I am aware of the limitations of these machines (and noise) compared to the industrial machines I use at work, however what concerns me most, looking at the pictures is the lack of chip extraction (I can't see a 4" port on any of them). I have recently bought a smallish HVLP blower extractor to use at home and I am interested in what the extraction is like with these thicknessers. Any comments welcome
Paddy

Hi, I've got a Triton thickness which has an extraction port a bit smaller than the 63mm pipes I've run round the workshop, very few shavings escape so long as I empty the SIP vacuum before its overfull.

I have a deWalt thicknesser, which has a 4" port normally supplied with a 2 1/2" reducer. The latter comes off easily though. The Camac single motor extractor copes OK, and though it only has a 2 1/2" port, I put a 4" adaptor on it and 4" flex hose leading to the thicknesser in a short run.

Thanks Selken. Those Tritons are very competitively priced, how do you rate yours? I was put off by the 63mm port because I was worried it would block up, I suppose it's just a question of taking light cuts. Does the port manage if you thickness the full 12"?

Paddy Roxburgh":3kbtb8e4 said:
Thanks Marcos. I see they've doubled in price since that review!!

so i see. it is a good machine. not sure that it is £650 good though.

I have the jet 12" thicknesser. It comes with a bloody silly 50 mm hole.
only took an hour to cut the plastic out and glue in a 63 mm connector.
My 63 mm system copes very well even on a full width board.
I dont cut large depths (usually 0.5 or 0.75 mm), but believe it would cope easily with a 1 mm cut.

Noise is in the jet engine range though. ear defenders are a MUST.

I paid £200-odd for my Triton and have been really pleased with it. Excellent finish, holds its adjustment well. The only issue I do have with it is when I'm handling wide pieces of timber. The resultant long shavings can clog the outlet pipe, but in fairness they can clog the inlet grill on my extractor prior to the turbine too!

For the money I really can't fault it. It's still <£300 on Amazon...

marcros":2cj75pxm said:
my axminster one has a separate dust port that bolts on- the issue is that with the port fitted, the tables don't fold.

Same with mine, I have to raise the cutters right up to stow the table on the output side.

Besides that little niggle, the extraction works flawlessly.

There's a quick glimpse of the extraction port at 11 seconds - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTrZ74b1dJo

My well used, cheap at the time, Charnwood had a bolt on dust hood but was not very good at capturing the shavings with the low power extractor I had at the time so I modified the 'Hood' to enclose the output stream with a piece of MDF and a cut down plastic hose adapter and it made a 90% improvement.

Now I have an extractor with a lot more suck but see no reason to remove the modified hood, the slight inward air bleed through the two side slots encourage the chip collection.
Does nothing for enabling the table to be folded of course any better than the simple hood supplied even when cutters raised but as my machine is floor mounted and tucks away under a bench when not in use it makes little difference.

Attachments

• plan3.jpg
    plan3.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 1,019
  • plan2.jpg
    plan2.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 1,019
  • plan1.jpg
    plan1.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 1,019
I have the Dewalt DW733 and chip extraction is as good as it gets on this sort of machine with a HVLP extractor.

The Makita thicknesser comes with an extraction hood, can't remember the size of the hole though cos I've never used it. I don't have the room to use it in the shed so I take it outside and sweep up after I've finished.

I have a JET thicknesser, it needs an extractor if planing wide boards otherwise it blocks the small exhaust nozzle really quickly, also can be rather messy. I use one of the Record drum extrators.

Hi, I've not thicknessed anything wider than 8 inches on mine yet but it coped with 1/16 inch cuts OK. I got mine at last years Screwfix live show so there was a show discount plus 10% off ma.king it a really good price.

Andrewf":3924ujl7 said:
I have a JET thicknesser, it needs an extractor if planing wide boards otherwise it blocks the small exhaust nozzle really quickly, also can be rather messy. I use one of the Record drum extrators.

Andrew, make the hole bigger like I did. 63 mm pipe, cut the hole bigger and use lots of silicone glue. works a treat.

Back