Lovely plane this.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve got a Stanley equivalent. I’ve had it for years. Bought it before I knew anything. Recently it actually came in handy when I needed to take a few shavings of a rough painted door which was sticking. It did it’s job and then went back on top of the tool cupboard.

As far as I'm aware Amazon basics looks at what is selling well, then they source a slightly cheaper copy (or even the same product with their name on it) to get the sales. People were already buying this junk so you almost can't really blame Amazon for taking advantage of it.

I found an old SB-3 in a box the other day. I left it there.

Best thing you could have done with it, bar throwing it out completely.

I also possess an SB3 which continues to take up valuable drawer space, but I just can't quite bring myself to throw it out. Waste of good dustbin space, as well.
It's not even heavy enough to be a door stop.
The best thing I ever did with mine, was to stop trying to get it to work.

Can't be too surprising. I got an alert video from a boutique guitar pedal maker here earlier this year about "amazon basics" guitar effects.

Nothing says legit in the world of music like amazon basics gear (this is an easier task with guitar effects, though - most of the third world electronics firms can look at the simple circuits in guitar effects and make a cheap version - and sometimes they're dead on).....

... check that...a couple of months later, I already cannot find any amazon basics guitar fx pedals. I guess they must've found out that there are a couple of serious chinese companies who are making very good (legal) clones and shipping them to the US for less than amazon can sell them.

(the assessment from the high end maker in the US, who also has their own budget line of pedals (made in the US no less and sometimes barely more than the chinese pedals) was that he welcomed anyone like amazon making guitar pedals, because it introduces thin wallet folks - usually young - into the hobby and what they were selling reminded him of the things he could afford when he was a kid.

.......success much more likely than with making $15 hand planes).

I’ve just discovered Matt Estlea on you tube - very talented, but also did a whole video on the amazon plane

Previous Amazon plane - probably a better plane than the current one but still shoddy!!

Who makes them?

Plane village somewhere in China?

Cheers James

I'd guess india. That style of plane has been coming from india for a few decades (india is cheaper than china for industrial work, too).

Somewhat famous for tools that can sometimes be used, and other times can't be physically possible to use.

If someone is wise enough to copy the basic stanley bailey pattern, the plane always has potential, even if the cap iron teeters on the adjuster dog or some other initial non-starter. I'd be tempted to see if I could get one of the ones like the plane shown in that video to within LN's flatness spec and working in less than an hour with all of the problems solved. The iron and cap iron are a wild card on planes like that, though. I had a later english stanley (really later, plastic handles) that had a gross casting and the adjuster yoke and pawl were way oversized - the cap iron couldn't fit down the paul. I fixed it. But the surprise of the whole thing was that the iron was quite nice. IT was coarsely milled, but in a good hardness range (probably 60 or so) and sharpened and worked nicely. I threw the rest of the plane away and no clue where the iron is, but I'm sure I still have it. It wasn't O1, but probably some euro 1.xx CV stuff (which is fine), but far better than any of the round top stanley irons that were common on type 20+ planes 30-40 years ago.

I have several faithfull planes made by sobo I expect.

Not bad planes. The finish seems no worse than my old Stanley planes.

Axminster rider planes were said to be made by the same manufacturer. I would be supprised if new record planes are too.

Cheers James

Latest posts

Back