Are Scheppach HM254 mitre saws all the same quality depending where you buy them.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alasdair

Established Member
Reaction score
Been looking at evolution mitre saws and came across a Scheppacch Hm254 for £140. Just wondering if they are made to different specs depending on where you buy them. ie b&q, aldi etc. Atre they made to a lower spec to keep them cheaper? The one I'm looking at is on Amazon but sold by Hyundai direct Amazon.co.uk
I know they used to be quite good but anyone know what there like now.

they were quite good in the old days.....their stuff was made in Europe......
now on the cheaper ranges it's all cheapo manufactured in Asia and painted a diff colour.....
No idea at all but have u checked Lidil, Aldi....?
Their returns policy is great for peace of mind......

worth a look at the earlier post on mitre saws......

remember prof machines are around a grand.....

would u go used......?
do u need a small'ish table saw coz Makita ,Dewalt and Elu do a decent qual flip saw.....
I regret selling mine.....I dont need one but if one come's up near by I'm having it.....
there's a 240volt machine on the Bay for a buy it now price of £300 and some 110v machines with a transformer for £200....
they are a good machine......I bought mine new.....
ps, easy to put wheels on it......
plus, I was able to lift it in my Transit van on my own......
just sayin....good luck.....
s-l500.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Thanks I remembered I heard a few years ago that certain power tools like dewalt/black and decker) from B&Q etc looked the same but were cheaper on the inside. You only found out when trying to source spares. I assume that most cheap saws are now built or manufactured in china far east. At £140 if it does go wrong or doesnt last its cheap enough to replace.

I would always encourage going for good quality, repairable used gear, over cheep new; we should all be consuming less, and you will simply get a better tool.

It's relative to the use to which it'll be put. For occasional use much cheap gear is perfectly OK, and if bought from Aldi or Lidl it'll have a three year guarantee. Yes, top of the range stuff is repairable, but often costs as much to repair as you would spend replacing it. It's really the stuff you want 100% accuracy from that's worth the money. I know people who use gear professionally who use mostly bottom of the range gear and price it into a job - if it breaks down, so what, and if it lasts it's a bonus. It doesn't tend to get stolen as it has little value.

Ordered a Sceppach HM216 including two blades this morning from Scheppach direct. Was going to go for the HM254 but its a bigger saw and after thinking could do with something more portable and compact. Hope it turns out ok. It wont be getting a lot of use. Also noticed that the ones in aldi etc have are sold as HM216X not HM216 so I assume theres a difference in some way. Aldi are out of stock at moment
Thanks for the advice
Alasdair

Thanks I remembered I heard a few years ago that certain power tools like dewalt/black and decker) from B&Q etc looked the same but were cheaper on the inside. You only found out when trying to source spares. I assume that most cheap saws are now built or manufactured in china far east. At £140 if it does go wrong or doesnt last its cheap enough to replace.
Most companies have different ranges DeWalt has already two.
Bosch has green/blue.
Makita has red site / green.

Bought one from Aldi on offer and for £70 I'm very pleased with it. Decent accuracy straight out of the box and three blades included (24, 40 and 60 tooth) although I'm sure they could be improved on.
Couldn't find anything secondhand locally for that price and as mentioned before there's a three year guarantee

Just had a scheppach HM216 sliding mitre saw delivered. I decided to go with the 216 as the 255 was a good bit bigger and more cumbersome. Its not a bad lookinig saw. Seems well made but perhaps a bit light weight but easy to move around.. Came with two blades 24 and 48 they look ok but time will tell. Have Schepach on the blades but also Jiangsu Ohaefeng Tools Co Ltd. May have to buy something a bit better. There also seems to be two variants of the saw. The one I bought is the 2000w HM216. There is also the HM216X which I think comes with 210mm blades and is listed as 2000w or 1600w? It was in aldi but I missed it.
Havent had a chance to use it but everything seems really tight and easy to use.
Alasdair

One good thing about Scheppach, if you have to phone their help line you get to speak to an engineer who knows the machine and has obviously used one- very helpful

Just had a quick try of the new saw. Not bad at all. All seems good. Nice clean and very precise cuts on skirting board etc. Dust collection is a bit useless but I can cope.
Never had a mitre saw before but reckon I will enjoy using it once I get some practice in. Its a lot easier taking the saw to the work.
Alasdair

Back