Lost the lever cap screw for my Stanley 220 block plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrenchIan

Established Member
Reaction score
I could buy the official replacement pack which contains, among other things, the screw, but at £7.76 plus VAT plus P&P to (France), it's expensive.

If I can identify the thread, though, I reckon I could get someone in the UK to buy me something similar, and post it out.

I estimate it's 1/4 inch, finer than Whitworth (tried that), so I'm guessing BSF. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

FrenchIan":1dgjxmq0 said:
I estimate it's 1/4 inch, finer than Whitworth (tried that), so I'm guessing BSF.
Hi Ian,

I have the remains of an old English made #220 that I picked up somewhere along the way. It still has the screw.

It's 9/32" 24tpi, but I couldn't tell you if it Whitworth form or something else. The screw is 13/16" long overall, and 5/8" long excluding the head. There's 1/2" of thread.

I hope this helps. If you can't pick something up locally, or within Europe, let my know and I'll post mine from the nether-regions of the Pacific :)

Cheers, Vann.

ps The thread of lever-cap screw on bench planes is 9/32" - 24tpi American/unified form, according to recordhandplanes.com but two I tried don't screw freely into the #220 body - so maybe (just maybe) the thread is Whitworth. I don't know how much difference the different form would make.

Vann":2r4wq5t8 said:
FrenchIan":2r4wq5t8 said:
I estimate it's 1/4 inch, finer than Whitworth (tried that), so I'm guessing BSF.
Hi Ian,

I have the remains of an old English made #220 that I picked up somewhere along the way. It still has the screw.

It's 9/32" 24tpi, but I couldn't tell you if it Whitworth form or something else. The screw is 13/16" long overall, and 5/8" long excluding the head. There's 1/2" of thread.

I hope this helps. If you can't pick something up locally, or within Europe, let my know and I'll post mine from the nether-regions of the Pacific :)

Cheers, Vann.

ps The thread of lever-cap screw on bench planes is 9/32" - 24tpi American/unified form, according to recordhandplanes.com but two I tried don't screw freely into the #220 body - so maybe (just maybe) the thread is Whitworth. I don't know how much difference the different form would make.

Vann, thanks for the reply. Very interesting

I have a spare screw for my Stanley/Bailey No.4 bench plane - it's bigger than the screw for the block plane, but the thread looks similar. But, I think it's 5/16" rather than 9/32", despite what the website says. (9/32" seems to be an uncommon size for a bolt in any gauge - 5/16" seems more common.)

Just to confirm this, I measured the internal diameter of the tapped hole in the block plane. It matches the dimension for a 1/4" bolt - either Whitworth or American Unified. So, in the nicest possible way, might your 9/32" screw actually be a 1/4" screw?

If so, it would give us the choice between 1/4" 26tpi BSF and 1/4" 28tpi UNF. Or something really unusual.

What do you think?

Cheers

Hi,

Planes use non standard thread sizes, plane making started before threads where standadised and the continiued using the odd sizes.
Why don't you drill it out and re-tap for a larger screw?

Pete

Racers":1ou2gxch said:
Hi,

Planes use non standard thread sizes, plane making started before threads where standadised and the continiued using the odd sizes.
Why don't you drill it out and re-tap for a larger screw?

Pete

True. And it does allow interchangeabiity of parts.

Regrettably, metal drilling and tapping isn't an option for me - haven't the tools. Besides, I think the plane body is cast iron, and if it is, it's now old, hard and risky to machine. I may just have to buy a genuine replacement

FrenchIan":2e38y111 said:
Vann":2e38y111 said:
FrenchIan":2e38y111 said:

ps The thread of lever-cap screw on bench planes is 9/32" - 24tpi American/unified form, according to recordhandplanes.com...

Vann, thanks for the reply. Very interesting

I have a spare screw for my Stanley/Bailey No.4 bench plane - it's bigger than the screw for the block plane, but the thread looks similar. But, I think it's 5/16" rather than 9/32", despite what the website says. (9/32" seems to be an uncommon size for a bolt in any gauge - 5/16" seems more common.)

Just to confirm this, I measured the internal diameter of the tapped hole in the block plane. It matches the dimension for a 1/4" bolt - either Whitworth or American Unified. So, in the nicest possible way, might your 9/32" screw actually be a 1/4" screw?

If so, it would give us the choice between 1/4" 26tpi BSF and 1/4" 28tpi UNF. Or something really unusual.

What do you think?

Cheers
I've been back out to the garage to re-measure the thread. It is, without doubt, bigger than ¼" - to be exact it's 7.00mm dia. over the threads.

Using my thread gauge it's 24tpi (22tpi & 25tpi don't fit - 24tpi does).

As Pete says, Stanley developed their threads before threads were standardised. Whitworth form (55°) was is use in USA then, BSW came later, but by then the US had changed to American form (60°) because it was cheaper to produce.

Cheers, Vann.

ps just a thought :idea: is your #220 a recent one - possibly with metric thread :?:

I've been back out to the garage to re-measure the thread. It is, without doubt, bigger than ¼" - to be exact it's 7.00mm dia. over the threads.

Using my thread gauge it's 24tpi (22tpi & 25tpi don't fit - 24tpi does).

As Pete says, Stanley developed their threads before threads were standardised. Whitworth form (55°) was is use in USA then, BSW came later, but by then the US had changed to American form (60°) because it was cheaper to produce.

Cheers, Vann.

ps just a thought :idea: is your #220 a recent one - possibly with metric thread :?:[/quote]

Bingo! It's M6

I am surprised. I bought the plane 35 years ago, and I would have bet that a company like Record still used Imperial at that time - none of this new-fangled metric rubbish.

Serves me rightr for masking assumptions.

Thanks, everybody. I can now re-assemble the plane and start making a mess.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back