Loose tenons for workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbulldog

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about building another workbench, mainly to practice loose tenon work - I've never used them before. In fact I've never done any 'real' joinery at all. All my previous stuff has been glue and screw stuff.

I was thinking of using some of the 38 x 89 CLS stuff from wickes or wherever.

I'm starting to work things out and am beginning to think that I won't be able to use the same stock for the corner posts as I do for the rails? as there won't be enough of it to have the mortises in two faces ...

Is that right, will I need thicker stock for the corner posts?

TIA

Depends. There’s a workbench thread earlier this week and @Droogs helped reset the conversation by asking if it was for hand tool use or just power tools.

To build something up to hand planing ( lots of sideways force) I went for 100x100 minimum for legs, with mortises as you describe. These can be laminated up from standard construction timber.

My mistake, I want to build a 'work table', probably on wheels, rather that a 'workbench', apologies.

But, I'll be using power tools primarily.

I had though about laminating timber to get the extra width, thanks.

Generally though, I'm guessing there wouldn't be enough 'meat' in the timber I suggested (without laminating) to house mortises in two faces, that right?

I fear you're right, a 38mm max through tenon probably isn’t going to work well in a workshop without some other joinery, blocks or gussets in the corners and that’s probably not what you’re trying to achieve with you M/T practice anyway?

If you’ve already got the 38x89 stock, laminating that would be plenty good for a table/trolley though.

This guy builds a really solid looking bench using laminated ply for a lot of the construction, and even open M&T joints.

I built my first tracksaw cutting table using that laminated plywood with 'mortise and tenons' technique. Think I'll have a go laminating the timber and join using loose tenons.

I built mine using 90mmx90mm
Posts for the base with a through tenon and wedge. It’s a really solid bench and can take it down if needed.
I built the top from 25mm mdf topped with 18mm birch so I could utilise my mat fit dovetail gear.
It’s flat as hell as I used a torsion assembly.
I love it.

Attachments

• 2F54FBE1-50C7-4C62-BA30-8C439F20934D.jpeg
    2F54FBE1-50C7-4C62-BA30-8C439F20934D.jpeg
    238 KB · Views: 50
  • 3113862B-FDE1-4040-A710-3A453A8AC857.jpeg
    3113862B-FDE1-4040-A710-3A453A8AC857.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 49
  • F2112530-49E4-40F0-8B8C-51CD4699BA28.jpeg
    F2112530-49E4-40F0-8B8C-51CD4699BA28.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 44
I built mine using 90mmx90mm
Posts for the base with a through tenon and wedge. It’s a really solid bench and can take it down if needed.
I built the top from 25mm mdf topped with 18mm birch so I could utilise my mat fit dovetail gear.
It’s flat as hell as I used a torsion assembly.
I love it.
That looks great. Really like the rail grooves on the front, I need to figure out how to do that.

That looks great. Really like the rail grooves on the front, I need to figure out how to do that.
It’s a fantastic system. I bought one kit that had the router but you need included with the clamps and I use it all over now.
Made a great sled with it and a loose tenon jig that’s accurate and easy to set up.
well worth the money

It’s a fantastic system. I bought one kit that had the router but you need included with the clamps and I use it all over now.
Made a great sled with it and a loose tenon jig that’s accurate and easy to set up.
well worth the money
Where did you get the kit from?
Any pics of the loose tenon jig?
Cheers.

Where did you get the kit from?
Any pics of the loose tenon jig?
Cheers.
I think it was workshop heaven??
Around £80-£90 for the kit with 2 clamps and a few little knobs etc for jigs as well as the router bit you need to rout the grooves.
When I get home I’ll take some pics of the jigs I made with it.

Back