Lookinng for an affordable 5 1/2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorgoz

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if QS will be producing a no° 5 1/2 any time soon ? Only options at the moment are Clifton and Lie Nielsen and a secondhand record or stanley but i don't fancy fettling up one.

If you brought new it would need fettling i would personally go for a new looking record or stanley on ebay i won one not to long ago looked mint

I am pretty sure the LN, Clifton and QS? will not require any fettling apart from a honing?

Rod

matthewwh":plueeqrf said:
I don't know of any half sizes coming up but there is a low angle jack in the pipeline. Have you considered a #6?
How long till that happens Matt?

I'm also waiting for them to produce a 4 1/2. I have a Clifton 3, 5 1/2 and a 7 and believe that a 4 1/2 would complete my set. I probably should (and probably will) go for another Clifton but quite fancy trying out a Quangsheng.

Cheers
Aled

Personally, I would never buy a Bailey plane on ebay unless the vendor warranted that it was not convex along its length. These are near impossible to flatten (because of the tendency to rock) unless you have access to a good quality surface grinder.

Jim

I have the QS #6 and its a beast. I really like it - definitely worth a look! I use it for everything I would use a #5 1/2 for - mind you I'm a very tall guy so its pretty much to scale for me ;)

Matthew - do QS have plans to do a #7 or #8? I could do with a big jointer!

Trizza":1o4poi4y said:
I have the QS #6 and its a beast. I really like it - definitely worth a look! I use it for everything I would use a #5 1/2 for - mind you I'm a very tall guy so its pretty much to scale for me ;)

Matthew - do QS have plans to do a #7 or #8? I could do with a big jointer!

Get in the que!! We've asked for a 5 1/2 and a 4 1/2 first. :wink:

Ebay had a Stanley Bedrock 5 1/2 just before Christmas. Cracked handle so a user rather than a collector.

Back