Looking for.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeH

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Wonder if anyone can help, I am looking for something for a project I am working on at the moment, more of that later. I am looking for a 4 gang power extension, the type you normally see regularly, but I want one where the sockets are 90 degrees rotated from the usual so that the cables run along the orientation of the power strip. The aim is to reduce the profile of the loaded power strip as it will sit behind the item the project will hold and I want it to be a low profile in terms of taking less depth. I realise it will be longer than usual of course.

Have done the usual searches and can only find power strips where the plugs are rotated by 45 degrees.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance.

I doubt you'll find one off the shelf, I expect you'll have to either make one by butchering an traditional one or fit actual sockets into the back of the unit.

The sockets option leaves me no better off than a standard 4 gang unfortunately. I am thinking of just 4 single ways but it makes the cabling a bit worse, but my best fallback maybe.

Thanks Paul, that seems to be the sort of thing I am looking for. I will take a closer look.

My kitchen pop up socket pole has outlets that run vertically.
Might be possible you could break it down and modify one.

I bet that doesn't conform to BS-whatever it is. It says rated current 2500W - setting aside the current/power confusion that's not the 13A one might expect for a UK socket.

I don't really see how it is meant to work. The cable from one plug will need an abrupt bend to avoid the top of the next plug. The wiring code recommends a minimum height for plug sockets above the floor to avoid just this. Well, before you were required to put them half way up the wall so that it can be reached from a wheelchair.

You used to be able to get 4 way IEC outlets which were quite compact; I used one on a stereo cabinet once, but they were a pain in that you had to fit special plugs to everything. I'd urge you to find a design that works with a standard 4 way and forget all about this sort of oddball adaptor.

Thanks for the comments Tony. Funnily I also used to have one of those stereo style ones you mention, may still have it. But it won't help with the units that have a transformer as part of the plug so it has to be a standard plug.

I am not sure the 2500w you mention is an issue, you can get standard extension leads that are rated below 13amps. I didn't think that it is a requirement that every extension has to be able to carry 13 amps, otherwise there is a bit of a nonsense there in that I could plug 4 13amp kettles into one 4 way lead (I'd be a bit stupid to do so mind you).

I know what you mean about the bend radius, which is why I mentioned that I assumed the plug strip would be longer than usual to provide that clearance. I am assuming that as with all things electrical the user bears some common sense responsibility when using the item.......but maybe I am assuming too much there.

The popup ones seem to be configured like that to allow the popup to be pushed back down with something plugged in.

I'll keep looking but some useful answers there. I am starting to veer toward several single socket extensions as that would work fine but would not be as elegant, but it should all be hidden which is why I am going down this road anyway.

Thanks Steve. I think that based on the cost of these sorts of units I will go with a set of single sockets on flying leads. Less elegant but far cheaper. Thanks for the input from everyone, truly impressed with the feedback.

Back