Looking for wood turning tool name

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speeder1987

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Im looking for the name of the tool used in turning to cut/burn a thin line to make patterning on chisel handles etc.

I'm sure I saw one for sale somewhere and it looked like a cheese wire with handle either end but can't find it anywhere now I'm trying to look for it :(

I imagine it would be quite easy to make something like this, turn a small handle either end and attach a length of wire in between, not sure how I would attach the wire though so it wouldn't pull out in use.... also I suppose the handle must be of a shape that they are easy to let go in case the wire gets wound round the lathe.

I've seen on the Cornish workshop the suggestion of using the back of a hacksaw blade but quite like the idea of a dedicated tool for this. So depending on how cheap/available they are depends on whether I make or buy one :)

Cheers
John

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Its called,

a bit of wire between two handles,

I personally use a slim piece of formica.

I just use a piece of wire held in my hands (not too close to the point of contact with the wood as it gets a bit hot!). If you wanted you could turn some simple handles and make what is effectively a garotte. :lol: :lol:

I also use small sample pieces of formica to do the same thing.

In either case you need to cut a v-groove for the wire/formica to run in. Just keep pressing until it has burned evenly around the groove.

Differing thicknesses of wire give different widths of burning.

I use a bit of cheese wire on a junior hacksaw I have had the same bit of wire on it for the last 10 to 15 years the grandchildren love using it with no fear of getting burnt

Attachments

• DSCF0898 (2).JPG
    DSCF0898 (2).JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,298
OK lol, a piece of wire it is!!!

I think I will turn a couple of handles too though. I quite like the idea of using the junior hacksaw too.

Cheers for the speedy replies though guys :)

woodyturner":230db7vc said:
I use a bit of cheese wire on a junior hacksaw I have had the same bit of wire on it for the last 10 to 15 years the grandchildren love using it with no fear of getting burnt

I have not thought of using an old junior hacksaw - good idea!! :D :D

Kip Christensen or KC wire burners are the commercially available ones.
I use an old guitar string between a couple of rough turned handles . (hole drilled thru and wire looped and tied back on itself.)
I wouldnt use it without the handles though, dread to think what might happen if it got caught :shock:

Thanks Nev, that's similar to what I was thinking.

Think I'm going to try making my own first :)

Cheers guys

Picture hanging wire - from the pound shop - with 2 bits of wood either end and a small curtain ring (the ones that go in the net curtain wire ends, ask the missus lol ) screwed into each handle with the wire through the eye and wrapped around itself.

just whatever you do don't touch the wire afterwords, it get extremely hot! damhikt!

adidat

henton49er":1p04ughz said:
I just use a piece of wire held in my hands (not too close to the point of contact with the wood as it gets a bit hot!). If you wanted you could turn some simple handles and make what is effectively a garotte. :lol: :lol:

I also use small sample pieces of formica to do the same thing.

In either case you need to cut a v-groove for the wire/formica to run in. Just keep pressing until it has burned evenly around the groove.

Differing thicknesses of wire give different widths of burning.

I could have sworn that I replied to this yesterday -

no doubt you're careful, but I'd suggest fitting handles to the ends of the wire. If you're holding it in your hands and it somehow gets wrapped round your fingers and you have a catch the friction heat from use will be the least of your worries :shock:
Seeing as you have the ideal tools for making such handles it's not much of a job.

An alternative to formica (which I couldn't get hold off) is fibreglass or paxolin sheet. Luckily I had both from a previous hobby of making boomerangs. The benefit of using such sheet materials is that you aren't limited to applying them to the outside off spinning wood so you can burn rings inside bowls or on the front or back faces. Just remember to use air extraction as they give off nasty gasses when burned

OK thanks for all the replies guys, I'm going to give this a go this weekend

I use steel garden wire, available in different thickesses (gauges?). It's cheap :D

Just wrap it around a couple if bits of dowel, no need to bother turning special handles for it, you'll only be holding it for a few seconds. As stated above, don't forget to cut a small 'v' groove for it to run in.

regards

Brian

Nev-you hit precisely the two points i was going to make! Guitar string sounds like the perfect choice if you have a few lying around.

Also I have been strongly advised to NEVER use the wire held in hands, i.e. without handles!!
The old man who told me said he personally witnessed a student loose two fingers when the wire binded in a pocket of resin in the wood!!

Definately seems worth spending a minute making simple handles

I have seen these made whit wooden beads looked safer than handles .
i think it was at t&r.
Geoff

Back