Looking for some advice on treating wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaylee

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just finished the back wall of my garden to cover a nasty brick wall, the wood i used was smooth softwood decking: See picture

I have been looking around on the web and still can't decide whats best to treat it with, i basically want to change the color and treat it at the same time.

For what i have seen so far some say use Decking Oil or Decking Stain.

Does anyone have experience with these products? don't fancy using one of them only to find out later it's ruined the wood.

Also i think i read somewhere that it's best to leave newly fitted wood alone for a couple of months for the green color that is on the wood to fade before treating it?

Last thing, i am getting a decking fitter the do the flooring in the garden and i'm going to presume it's the same wood, the only difference is his using ridged softwood not smooth.

Can i use the same product that the wall will be using to treat it?

Oh i don't know if this helps but i live in the southwest of UK so the weather is not so bad as some other parts of the country.

Thanks all

Jay

Attachments

• Garden Back Wall.jpg
    Garden Back Wall.jpg
    829.9 KB · Views: 80
If it’s very recently treated it will still be wet and that can make the stain sit on top a bit if you’re using that. The resin pockets etc on cheap timber repel stains too creating a patchy look if you look closely.

I’d suggest doing both sides if you use oil etc as otherwise the back will get more wet than the front which will also get the sun and cupping will be more pronounced

Sorry unless i am missing something but i think The Tiddles is giving me guidance on what to do when i do treat them, only thing missing is which is better, Decking Oil or Decking Stain.....just looking for peoples experiance with both items to get a feel of what to use.

They’re the same, one has more pigment in than the other. In either case the boards will get covered in green slime unless they’re in permanent sun and be rotten in a couple of years

A

Latest posts

Back