looking for inspiration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The chair is the project of choice (so far). Its simple with no complicated joints so should be achievable.
I'll see how i get on with that before tackling any thing else now.

Bob, are you talking Adirondak chair ?
It took me several evenings in November 2015 to draw them using Inkscape -- all inches of course :wink:

Used 9mm MDF for templates

Could always buy a spokeshave... a Record A151 on ebay would cost you about £10; take off the adjustment knobs and put them in a drawer somewhere and you have a perfectly lovely little tool to learn to use cutting all sorts of curves.

Cordy, i have A3 graph paper. Admittedly in metric, but it didnt take long at all to make paper templates of the correct number of squares in each dimension. My squares are 25mm rather than inch, but as long as all the lines move through the same arc it will work out fine.
Then a quick freehand copying of the cutting line as it passes through each box and the job is done. About an hour for the paper templates. I have found that computer programmes are fine if youre very good at them, but its much quicker for me to draw with pen and paper than to plot a screen.
Then I pasted the papers onto scrap pieces of chip board and MDF, cut them on the bandsaw and smoothed them off with the bobbin sander to make solid templates ( I just LOVE power tools!). Then I just have to double sided tape them to the wood and use the router table with a bearing bit to make the finished pieces. If I like it and its a success, then I can make more with the same templates.
Got half of them done yesterday and hope to finish the rest today but I might be interrupted later by the boss as we are going away tomorrow for the weekend.

Mark, I do have a spokeshave as my next "to buy" item, but I have not seen any in the shops here and wont have any visitors from the UK now till early june, and shipping price on any small tool will more than double the cost.

Cordy, got most of the wood roughed out. But you could have told me that cutting list is not complete.
Another magazine that could do with a proof reader.
Got to stop now, I have to celebrate an anniversary, will be back on it late monday.
Just under £20 for redwood, so not too bad if it all goes pear shaped.

cutting list is not complete

But why ?
Here I can get Redwood 6 x 1 and 4 x 1 planed all round which are good sizes
Just bought enough for 3 chairs; about £53.00 incl VAT

No need to put through the thinning machine
mak-2012nb-action-shot-1.jpg

btw, have you got Pocket Hole Joinery tackle ?

AH, no, you misunderstood. The printed cutting list in the article is missing one piece.
My total spend will be around £20. Cyprus prices are always higher than UK as there isnt the competition here for customers.
The wood is 22 mm thick. That seems a bit solid for to me for a chair so i was thinking of thinning it.

Bob, mine is 21 mm thick [seems about right]-- which is what you get from p a r one inch

Malcolm, we get whats known as "coptic winds" each month. When one of those starts up the whirlygig would achieve escape velocity in seconds!

They regularly blow all our garden furniture across the concrete and into the pool. I'm hoping this chair will be too heavy for it, but am not fully confident of that.

That whiligigg would be something to see. You could add some gears and then sell them as being suitable for high winds. ...................... always looking for a marketing 'edge'
Malcolm

A couple years ago, we had a 16" GRP plastic tray on our outdoor table, with a lazy susan bearing glued under it. it was free to move about.

We were away when a coptic wind came through, when we returned, the wind had picked up that sideways on plastic tray, and frisbeed it across the garden so hard that it flew into the porcelain outdoor shower tray. It smashed that porcelain tray into pieces! Thank goodness no one was in the way.

To make a whirlygig coptic proof I would have to make it out of 2 x 4 and concrete it into the ground.

This 'Adirondack' table is an easy build
The coach bolts were put in to match the chairs
All made with Redwood

Ignore the chair plans; look at the TABLE
Note that I cleaned up the side parts by tucking them in using Pocket Holes

7AOsJb7h.jpg

Chair and table treated with Sikkens Base Cetol plus
followed with Sikkens Cetol Filter7 plus

Above photos taken this morning, they are left outside with a cheap plastic cover over
85aHHP0h.jpg

Ahhhh Darby and Joan :roll: :wink:

1iZY1aph.jpg

Latest posts

Back