Looking for Furniture Manufacturers based in the UK

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tatcho

Established Member
Reaction score
Obviously the industry has taken a battering in recent years but I was wondering if anybody hear is aware of any high volume furniture manufacturers that are still alive and trading in the UK currently?

I'm not looking for small joinery shops or bespoke cabinet makers but larger scale operations who manufacturer for retailers for them to badge themselves.

I'm aware that I should be looking at places in India and China but I want to use as many 'local' resources as possible.

I'm hoping that the UKW hive mind can help me out!

Two that come to mind at the higher end of the market are Ercol (High Wycombe?), though they use their own brand name, and Bright's of Nettlebed, who do high-end repro stuff.

I very much doubt that there are many mass-market furnituremakers competing successfully with the likes of IKEA. They couldn't buy the materials for the retail price of some of the flat-pack stuff.

It may be worth searching some of the established business directories like Kelly's to see if there are any mid-range firms still about.

Edit to add - http://www.kellysearch.co.uk/

Edit a second time - forget Bright's of Nettlebed. They are a retailer stocking furniture made by a firm called Theodore Alexander, who do their manufacturing in South East Asia.

A good friend of mine used to make chairs and I made tables for Heal's but that work has now all gone abroad :cry: ,

He still does make chairs for other companies though :) and quite a bit of my work gets retailed by others.

Back