Looking for first Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TobyDavidson

Established Member
Reaction score
so big dilema,

It was started a few months ago when I said I wanted to get into turning. My inlaws bought me a subscription to Woodturning Magazine as a birthday present, which is absolutely fantastic. It has so many ideas in it that they are already being canibalised into working folders with breakdown of technique vs project types etc. (I have to do this as I have no lathe at present...)

Finding this forum has moved it onto the next step as there seems to be so much support, it's absolutely brilliant for anyone starting out. So I guess that is a big thank you from us Newbies to the experienced guys and gals for your help and support.

Now the question, which lathe to get first.

I am considering either a Record CL4 or the Nova 1624 or is it worth looking at something that much older somewhere like ebay.

Thoughts, opinions and other recommendations gladly accepted.

Budget is up to about 850 for the lathe, although I am willing to consider second hand and pay less if possible for the first one. I am garage based, and share it the usual bikes, freezers and booze fridge.

I have a set of basic chisels and access to most machinary close by. My old man is a cabinet maker so has bandsaw, saw table, P/T etc. He just upgraded his extraction system so I have inherited his old one along with a 6" bench grinder which will need new wheels.

I would rather get a second hand lathe for about the 500 mark and then do some tuition to get a head start, but an happy to go new if you all think the waranty is important.

There's some nice ones on ebay at the moment, a woodfast, a record coronet No 3, a Union Graduate single phase, plus some others. Always worth looking. If you are not sure about one ask and someone on here will know the answer.

Pete

EDIT: Beware as well. A classic example is the Perform that someone has with a starting price of £200. They were less than that brand new and stopped production 6 months or so ago. Not even any tools or anything with it. :roll:

I've just bought one from ebay and the biggest trouble seems to be finding what you want locally. Bets thing to do is search for what you want ie. wood* lathe and then sort by "distance closest to". You then enter your postcode and huzzah!

Hi Toby,

I started about 18 months ago and bought a used Record DML36SH as I wasn't sure if it would be a 'fad' hobby. However, I soon outgrew this and eventually replaced it with a secondhand CL4 bought on eBay. It was about 2 yeras old from memory and cost about £550 including a shedload of extras, including a chuck and pen turning kit. I'm very happy with it and barring a major windfall of Vicmarc/Wivamac proportions it'll probably see me out!

Have fun shopping for your new toy!

Cheers,

Neil.

Hopefully my advice is not too off putting!

Please do not aim too high, a lathe that will enable you to learn and master some of the tool skills without using too much money really ought to be the first consideration.

There are more "would be" turners in this country who have given up when tools do not do what is described on the packet or as demonstrated at a show etc!

I would advise anyone starting to think around £2-£300, because if it proves that it really isn't your bag then disposal of a cheaper lathe is easier. Despite which tooling can be the most expensive.

My first tools (I still use one or two) came as a job lot from a car boot sale as did my grinder (Also still working 16 years on).

For the last 12 years I have used a Record CL3 which has served me well including turning platters up to 28 inches in diameter. It does have its limitations but then so do all lathes.

Please join a club and ask members to allow you to visit and appraise their lathes, it will soon be apparent those which will fulfull your needs.

Hope this helps, because once you start the "obsession" you might find it difficult to stop buying things!

Regards, Peter.

up til a couple of weeks back i would have sold you mine ( i have upgraded *gloat*) unfortunately for you it is now promised to a good home. (another one brought over to the roundside - and no its not mike garnham)

I had an axminster M900 ( now AVSL 900) which is a good starter lathe and one to learn with - they are about 200 odd notes new. I had mine for nearly 9 years and only upgraded because i wanted more power - they arent perfect but they are good for the price.

mind you if you have more to spend I'd tend to suggest a record CL3 or CL4 new - the CL3 can be had for arround 500 notes while the CL4 (which has electronic variable speed) is closer to or just over 800

Bodrighy":1vhyq2qq said:
EDIT: Beware as well. A classic example is the Perform that someone has with a starting price of £200. They were less than that brand new and stopped production 6 months or so ago. Not even any tools or anything with it. :roll:

But if you can pick one up for a sensible price they are a good starter lathe, no prizes for guessing what lathe I have. :roll:

thanks guys, this is all great.

I am going to look out for a CL3/4 or Axminster equivalent on ebay and spend the rest learning how to use it properly.

a 20+ inch turned item may be some time away for me

Big Soft Moose, I see you are pretty close too. I live in Malmesbury and my folks live in Tockenham so would be interested to know of any local clubs.

Hi Toby, I have a cl4 bought one year ago new and yes it has one or two minor niggles which I will get round to sorting. But that has not stoped me in producing turning work for my business. They list in the dia' when turning off the bed 32" dia. Well that is more than most can handle. All the best and when you are all set up don't forget the photos. We all like photos.

TobyDavidson":3ibrbhik said:
thanks guys, this is all great.

I am going to look out for a CL3/4 or Axminster equivalent on ebay and spend the rest learning how to use it properly.

a 20+ inch turned item may be some time away for me

Big Soft Moose, I see you are pretty close too. I live in Malmesbury and my folks live in Tockenham so would be interested to know of any local clubs.

Hi Toby,
Its always good to see any lathe working before you buy but if you go the ebay route you might not get chance unless its close by. At the least check there is no play in the headstock bearing before you hand over your cash.
With the cl3 the bearings are phospher bronze tapers lubricated by an oil feed on top the casting so there is usually oil around the bottom of the spindle. This isnormal unless there is evidence of alot of oil being thrown out but even then it might just need minor adjustment, a simple procedure.
If you can get one with cam locks on the saddle and if thats not possible then cam locks are available through record power.
If you go to the record website

http://www.recordpower.co.uk/index.php? ... TAILSTOCK#
Go to cl3 and then documents they have the whole manual on pdf.
Worth having a look through to give you some idea what to look out for.
Martyn

Latest posts

Back