Looking for advice on a Mitre Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james_cleeve73

Reaction score
Hello, recently my Garage flooded and unfortunately one of the casualties was my "perform" mitre saw. I'm not that upset to be honest because I was never that happy with it and it's just the excuse I needed to buy a new one!

So, my research so far has led me to believe that I need a non sliding version (for the best accuracy) and these two models seem to be the front runners:

Axminster AWMS10 250mm Compound Mitre Saw

Makita MLS100/2 250mm Compound Mitre Saw

Does anyone have any experience with these models? Or could perhaps suggest a good bet that I've overlooked? My budget is max £150 and that would need to include a blade for finer cutting as well as the stock blade it comes with.

Many Thanks!

B&Q have been selling Dewalt 703 mitre saws for £169 for a while now. It is a little over your budget, but a good saw for the money IMO. I bought one at the end of last year and have been well pleased with it. Easy to adjust for spot on square cuts and pretty good cutting capacity. Stock blade not much use for fine work (24t) and no workholding clamps supplied as standard though.

Hi James, and welcome to the forum.

Don't know either of the models on your list specifically, but I'd bet my underpants that anything with Makita on the label - sliding or not - is going to eat the Aminster alive when it comes to accuracy. I've got the LS1013 10" slider, and with a sharp blade it's very nearly as accurate as my scheppach table saw with sliding table - believe me, that takes some doing!

It's way outside your budget so I quote it only as an indicator of the kind of build quality you can expect from Makita.

Makita tools are going to built to a higher standard than Axminster's own stuff. So, since the price is right, I reckon you should go for one of those turquoise (?) -coloured saws... In my experience of sliding mitre saws, they're not as accurate as non-sliders.

As for the blades, I just bought an "Axcalibur" one from Axminster for about £30, excellent value for money. They're still listed under the "Perform" brand online and in their catalogue. The important thing to look for is a blade with a negative rake, first and foremost.

I bought the Axminster saw in February 2006 and at that time came with a stand and two blades, it cost £145 then. I thought it was good value at the time and now that it is £89, even better value. Although it could be argued that the free saw blades and stand, offset the price of the machine.

I feel it's horses for courses, if you can afford the Makita go for their quality.
And there is always this model...

http://www.axminster.co.uk/sessionI...x-KS120EB-Compound-Slide-Mitre-Saw-718884.htm :twisted:

Phil

Thanks for all your replies, very helpful.

The general consensus seems to be that the Makita would be a better bet, my only worry is that it seems quite cheap for a Makita, does anyone have any experience with this particular model?

Thanks

I decided to take the pluge and bought the Makita, it arrived yesterday.

First impressions are very good! It's looks rock solid, a completely different beast to my old flimsy perform saw.

I'll let you know how I get on, seems like a total bargain, £100 from Screwfix (I know I was very surprised that they turned out to be the cheapest!).

I'll second that about Makita 'price' surprises.

I recently bought (from SF) a Makita angle grinder as the green Bosch bearing seized.

Talk about chalk and cheese....the Makita is silky smooth in operation. Really please with it and reckon you won't be disappointed with your saw.

Just spent the last two days cutting a hipped roof from 6"x2" timbers and my Makita mitre saw wizzed through the lot no problem.Every joint spot on.Don't know how i used to manage without it.

Back