Looking for a jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcW

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm more of the handtool board, but last week I got in machinery again, so I open a thread here.

I wondered if there is a jig, shopmade or not, for thicknessers. It should allow planing or jointing roughsawn boards. If anybody knows, I'd be glad she or he could point me to it.

Friendly Regards,

Marc

Hi Marc

You can certainly plane a rough sawn board in a thicknesser by mounting it on a long board, shimming where there are gaps beneath the board and passing it through the thicknesser. Just make sure uou've got a stop - screws/nails/blocks, etc - at the rear of the board to prevent if from being ejected into your legs or worse. I can't see how you'd joint in a thicknesser, though. Jointing requires a fence at right engles to the cutterblock, something you can't achieve in a thicknesser. I'd therefore suggest ripping square on a table saw (or with a circular saw and straight batten) followed by careful hand planing. Oh, and one more thing - keep the cut very shallow; no more than 1mm when surface planing.

Scrit

Mark
There was an article in Fine Woodworking on building a sled to allow you to joint wide stock in your thicknesser. Here is a link-if you need more info I can dig out the back issue for you.
Cheers
Philly :D

Scrit, Philly,

Thanks for the information. I had a jig in mind, two rabbeted boards, squeezing the board to be planed with filleted rods. Hm, well, I think it's to dangerous. Now I will see.

I looked at the side of fine woodworking. Great information there for 30 bucks, 8) nice sled too.

Cheers and thank you,

Marc

I have seen a sled using a panel clamp to "hold" the board & shims then inserted to maintain the level . Pretty simple device limited only by the length of the panel clamp attached by a screw to the sled base. I have not seen panel clamps longer than 5ft.

Lee

Hello Lee,

I googled "panel clamp", and got thousands of results. Could you tell me please which ones you mean. Your sled seems to be really easy to make.

Thanks in advance, Marc

Latest posts

Back