Long grind profiles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEP

Established Member
Reaction score
Found this while browsing, thought it may be of some help to any who still think they have problems shaping a long grind on a spindle/bowl gouge. Grind Profiles

I saw those for sale at one of the shows Tam, can't remember which stockists, (sorby?) thought they were a good idea for a new starter but I thought at the time the price was high enough to be in the nice to have rather than essential bracket for someone struggling with the startup costs of turning.

Be ideal for a club setup I would have thought as an instruction/loan aid.

As someone communicated with me in the last couple of days it is much easier to sort out your grinding method when you have a pre-existing form to follow.

Interesting link Paul... 'Texas Irish' grind!... now there's something to conjure with...

I'm toying with the idea of a Fenland digit grind (or should that be Fenland Irish phalangeal?) ...either way, it should plough through wood :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Chas, the profiles where detailed in the Feb. 08 issue of the Woodturning mag. The price is approx. £7.50 each, not bad I thought as you can just buy the odd one if and when needed.

Or I suppose, if we could find some slotted steel one of us could make up a few, and save a couple of bob.

What about just using a cheap gouge itself. You can pick 'em up on ebay for about £20 a set sometimes. Probably not much cop for actual turning but maybe OK for this sort of thing?

Pete

Hi Tam
Finally sussed the long grind on my bowl gouge :lol: .
I made a proper jig with plenty of room for the side swings which is where I was going wrong before :D :D
Cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back