Log slice table top

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzpoz

Reaction score
Hi. 1st post and need a bit of advise please, I've got a nice log slice that's been drying out at work for the last year or so. I'm going to give it a sand and fit some legs and make a little table for my summerhouse. I'm wondering if I should remove the bark. It's quite crumbly and don't want it to go mouldy, start growing fungus or get bugs in it. Also what would be the nicest way to finish it. Thanks.

IMG-20201207-WA0000~2.jpeg

The bark won’t go mouldy and any bugs are mostly already in there, if at all, it will gradually probably fall off on its own account over the next 2, 3 or more years, do you have another bit? You could pick the bark off that and see which you prefer. Personally leave it well alone. Ian

Welcome Ozpozz, straight in with a question that isn’t one of the stupid ones thank you. Ian

The bark won’t go mouldy and any bugs are already in there if at all, it will gradually probably fall off on its own account over the next 2, 3 or more years, do you have another bit? You could pick the bark off that and see which you prefer. Ian
No. That's the last piece. It all got taken pretty quickly for people's log burners. I just kept that piece. Thanks for reply. 👍

Yes - nice question - I live near Sheffield city centre - a tree filled city, - great, but some get too big for gardens (just watching a tree surgeon out the back window - she's fully harnessed, but so daring and skilled - doing a great job taming a giant ash) - especially Leyland cypress - unless you're going to trim it every year don't plant it in a town.

However - when Leylands do come down the colours in the trunk slices are great -- I have 4 slices about 80cm across (about 5cm thick) - been in dry store at my allotment for 4 years - was expecting some rot and definitely splitting - hasn't happened and the colours have held up quite well. The side table(s) is planned -

She's climbed down - was at the job on the highest branches full tilt for 5 hours using a Stihl battery chainsaw - very quiet compared with usual racket, and looks safer (am writing as if from yesterday afternoon in case you look at the time posted and wonder how she worked in the dark)

Yes - nice question - I live near Sheffield city centre - a tree filled city, - great, but some get too big for gardens (just watching a tree surgeon out the back window - she's fully harnessed, but so daring and skilled - doing a great job taming a giant ash) - especially Leyland cypress - unless you're going to trim it every year don't plant it in a town.

However - when Leylands do come down the colours in the trunk slices are great -- I have 4 slices about 80cm across (about 5cm thick) - been in dry store at my allotment for 4 years - was expecting some rot and definitely splitting - hasn't happened and the colours have held up quite well. The side table(s) is planned -

She's climbed down - was at the job on the highest branches full tilt for 5 hours using a Stihl battery chainsaw - very quiet compared with usual racket, and looks safer (am writing as if from yesterday afternoon in case you look at the time posted and wonder how she worked in the dark)
Will you leave the bark on yours when you make the table. I'm torn between it looking better with it on and weather it will cause more hassle in the future and to just take it off now.
How do you plan on finishing yours. Oil, wax

I used a 1piece Oak plank, 125x60cm with the bark removed for a bathroom cabinet top....with a plant on china sink...[17th century water mill]....
it was nearly 4" thick....I just carefully sanded the sharp edges and used polyurathane varnish because of the water...
I kept all the little grooves n holes on the wobbly surface sides....
by tipping the top up so the side was level I filled all the holes n marks in with several layers of the varnish......took ages.....
then sanded and varnished the whole thing...
oh, to get it flat I made a jig up so that Icould rout the top n bottom level to remove the chain and bandsaw marks....
it was about 125x60cm....
I know it helped to sell the house.....

as for ur table top, as it will be low level I'd remove the bark and do as above.....
don't wanna snag any tights on it....there will be enough character to keep it interesting....
good luck....

ozz - not sure, probably bark off, may even make a composite of the different pieces.

oh and re the side story, here's the tree surgeon, she's a tall woman so you can scale the ash tree
wet, dark December afternoonarborist.JPG

Just what I was doing today! Up there with a chainsaw. Great fun, but I wore bicycle clips in case I got a fright. Mainly to save the guy below me! Most will be used for firewood, but I'll keep some for future projects.

tree.jpg

At the risk of hijacking the thread, that is all I have been doing for the last month. 400 trees. No ladder. Chainsaw in one hand, branch in the other. What could possibly go wrong?

IMG-20201123-WA0002.jpg

I do wear eye protection, so that's OK, isn't it?

Back on topic, I would probably take the bark off. I'm told that a high pressure jet washer can be effective, but I've never tried it, and it might need to be very high pressure. You will certainly get wet though.

they have stopped the harvesting here in Crete already.......it's all done.....
we dont have many tree.....all have just been left to themselves, no trimming....
so we only got 27ltrs of oil......most will go to the holiday makers tho....
got guy's comming in to prune.....

One thought. It's a table. If people are going to sit down to it, or round it, the bark will leave more sharp edges to catch clothing etc? Easier to round over the edges with bark off?

Ok. So I had a go this morning, I should point out that Im not a pro and have limited tools. As in saw, hammer , orbital sander . I was hoping just chipping away at the bark would knock it off in nice chunks, then half hour later I'd be sipping hot coffee looking at a pile or bark. That didn't happen. It's solid, and just crumbling in bits.
I don't want to damage the wood with my primative tools so what's the best way to get it off. Am I right in thinking hammer, chisel between the the light wood and the bark and just work round. Then clean it up with a sander or will that just ruin it. Thanks.

sorry - depends on tree species and season harvested - some come off with one levering, some stick like mad - sounds like you've got the latter

try sawing into the bark, but not into the wood in 1"-2" chunks, then hammer the bark with a cross pein hammer or something like that. It might work.

bark.jpg

Ok. So I had a go this morning, I should point out that Im not a pro and have limited tools. As in saw, hammer , orbital sander . I was hoping just chipping away at the bark would knock it off in nice chunks, then half hour later I'd be sipping hot coffee looking at a pile or bark. That didn't happen. It's solid, and just crumbling in bits.
I don't want to damage the wood with my primative tools so what's the best way to get it off. Am I right in thinking hammer, chisel between the the light wood and the bark and just work round. Then clean it up with a sander or will that just ruin it. Thanks.

I would clean it up with a wire brush attachment in a cordless drill. Do wear goggles though, these things spin quickly and you don't a piece of wire in your eye. A nylon brush attachment would probably also work but I couldn't get one when I tried.

It removes the last of the bark and clingy bits but keeps the shape of the wood immediately below.

The other thing I would suggest is to sort the top out before buying/making the legs. If it all goes wrong, you haven't financially lost much. If you buy the legs and you don't like the top, you then have a set of legs left over!

Back