UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Smart

Chestnut Products
Reaction score
Hi All

I know that topic heading doesn't seem to make sense, but I'll try to explain.

I don't normally bother with the XP log on page but I've been playing with things a little bit and have noticed something strange. The computer recognises me as a user of course, and under my log in name tells me I have some unread emails. When I click on this message (not my name) it tells me the email address it is looking at, which is one I don't use anymore.
It's not a major problem, but I thought I'd try to fix it, but I can't find anywhere to tell the computer which email account to associate with my log in.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Terry

Are you talking about this site or XP in general? If this site then the email address is under Profile ...tab at top of each page.

If Xp...please can you explain a little more?

Cheers

Roger

Thanks Chas... couldn't see anything there but haven't had a proper chance to study it...

Hi Roger

The problem (as such) is with the log on screen for xp.

For example, if you log off (via 'start') a screen then comes up asking you which user you want to log in as, usually used when more than one person uses the computer.
My account is displayed, and underneath is says '4 unread messages'. Clicking on this message tells me which email address these messages are on... and this is the problem, this isn't an email address I use anymore and I would not have told xp to look at this address; it has made an assumption somewhere that it shouldn't have!

Is this any clearer? It's something I could show you in less than thirty seconds, but explaining it isn't as easy!

Hi Terry,

It's catching, I now have Two unread mails to differing accounts shown against my user name.

There are no unread mails on my system.

So it is not an account association that is astray but something to do with mail alert list, yours just happens to be a long standing error.

Still searching :roll:

OK Terry Cracked it.

Registry Edit I'm afraid. Don't know how XP got it's knickers in a twist but this will fix it.

Start> Run> regedit>

>Find

HKEY_CURENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurentVersion\UnreadMail\AccountName.

You can probably find it just searching for "UnreadMail"

Highlight each user account.

Check 'MessageCount' field in righthand box.

Last number in brackets should read (0) if there are no unread mails

Double click on this field to edit the number.

While you are at it you can delete any account references you no longer use.

The usual caveat applies Save your registry before you start editing.
You can save just the section you are working on to a name of your choice then if it goes belly up you can run the file and put the originals back.

Thanks Chas, that was a brilliant bit of detective work! It worked a treat, thanks again.
It was one of those annoying things that don't affect anything but niggle!

All the best

Terry

Latest posts

Back