Log cabin

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan Goodwin

Reaction score
Hello all,
I hope this is an appropriate space for this question.
I am hoping to build my own log cabin using the interlocking planks that you find with the ready made kits. I have seen them in various thicknesses ,from about 30 mm up to about 70 mm, but never sold outside of a kit.
I'm not even sure how you would describe them. I have hunted the internet without joy.
Does anyone know a supplier so that I could design, and build my own cabin?
Many thanks
Stan

Most manufacturers will supply a cabin to you specs.

Alternatively you will need to find a wood machinist who will mill the wood to the right profile.

Sounds massively expensive to me.

Mick

Hi, Take a look at "Dung Walling". http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/dung-walling-200mm-x-47mm Despite the name I think they are the sort of thing you are looking for. Farmers use these and my Dad has just built himself a nice sturdy workshop from them and it wasn't too expensive. I built a kit from Dunster House at my last place and it was good but I opted for a double skinned wall with insulation to use as a home office. The profile of the 'logs' were like those in the link.

I was going to build a new workshop last year from scratch, however I have always been aware of the fact that several company’s can offer pre-built units at very competitive rates.

I did the usual call to the local guys first, and as seems the norm now, most of them were useless. Did not return calls back, did return call, then the quote failed to materialise, or were stupidly expensive.

I eventually settled on a log cabin from a company called Quick Garden.co.uk. They have a UK based office, but all their manufacturing is done in Lithuania. They replied very promptly to emails, offer a bespoke service, and gave a 10 year warranty.

I spent a lifetime in the construction industry, so asked all the awkward questions, checked and questioned the specification and drove a hard bargain. Every time they came straight back with answers and were able to exceed my expectations.

I insulated the floor during construction and installed my own insulated shingle roof. The windows and doors are double glazed. The photos shows it almost completed with the paining of the windows still to do and the guttering to fix. It is a joy to work in.

Attachments

• IMG_0078.JPG
    IMG_0078.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 87

Latest posts

Back