Log cabin shingle roof help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson Carpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I know it's been a while. I am building a log cabin, well a timber framed summer house/man cave thing that will have log lap on (maybe weany edge cladding). I'm at the stage where I'm ready to put a roof on.

My first thought was felt tiles but I have since decided to go for sequoia redwood shingles. I have already boarded the roof with osb and wish for many reasons to keep it. My way of thinking was boards, breathable membrane, battens then shingles. After searching for bronze silicon nails I have since read that maybe I'm going overkill.

So my question is, do I really need the membrane and do I really need the battens? Apprantly these shingles don't need to vent between them and the osb.

I have done a fancy spliced wedged ridge joint and wish the beams be visible, so there is no insulation or internal roof cladding going up. To my thinking this kind of takes a need for a breathable membrane away?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

If its going to be heated in the winter then youre going to need condensation protection on the roof, or whoever is inside will think its raining.

I have just finished exactly what you are planning to do on my new workshop.

My roof was boarded with 18mm T&G I fitted 50mm foam insulation over the top, that 11mm type 3 OSB.

Have used a breathable membrane, its dirt cheap and as the OSB is moisture resistant, it’s a useful piece of added protection.

I did not use batten, as you only really need them if your shingling over joists. I also used stainless steel annular nails.

The important trick with shingles is nailing them in the right place

I have to say, they do look great when done.

https://flic.kr/p/G1fu3j

If anyone can tell me how to upload an image, Ill be happy to do so.

I would think you'd want a membrane? Or maybe just a felt "liner". I built similar last year although I used felt shingles but I did use a felt liner underneath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sunnybob":uualizw9 said:
If its going to be heated in the winter then youre going to need condensation protection on the roof, or whoever is inside will think its raining.
There will be a log burning fire in there but only in use while in there. How do I prevent this?

morturn":2f9aitkp said:
I have just finished exactly what you are planning to do on my new workshop.

My roof was boarded with 18mm T&G I fitted 50mm foam insulation over the top, that 11mm type 3 OSB.

Have used a breathable membrane, its dirt cheap and as the OSB is moisture resistant, it’s a useful piece of added protection.

I did not use batten, as you only really need them if your shingling over joists. I also used stainless steel annular nails.

The important trick with shingles is nailing them in the right place

I have to say, they do look great when done.

G1fu3j
https://flic.kr/p/G1fu3j

If anyone can tell me how to upload an image, Ill be happy to do so.
I plan to use crown staples. I'm not installing insulation so all I have is 11mm osb on top of the roof stucture.

Looks good. No idea how to upload images but I'm a mobile app.

Thank you

I don't see how you'll get condensation on that type of roof if you insulate.

[Final roof covering <> OSB <> insulation] is the standard construction for a flat roof and they don't suffer from condensation.

It's a gable roof. I don't wish to insulate. I like the look of the beams and painted osb. It is more of a summer house/games room than anything.

Hudson Carpentry":1cmkqdbb said:
It's a gable roof. I don't wish to insulate. I like the look of the beams and painted osb. It is more of a summer house/games room than anything.

That's your choice, if you get condensation then you'll know why I suppose.

I was responding to your request on how to stop condensation.

Latest posts

Back