Loft storgae project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosssmith9

Reaction score
Hey there,

Ross here, I am a new member this being my first post. A little about me: I am 36 and recently decided to reignite my joinery trade after a number of years. Enjoying it immensely so far but constantly being faced with all manner of challenges one of which is how to tackle a particular project for a friend (paying friend).

Loft area to be utilised as a large storage area maximising the use of all available space.

A brief run down of whats required;

- Relocation of existing opening / hatch / ladders
- Boarding out of central space
- Boarding out of diagonal truss member
- Instillation of false roof
- Instillation of new lights
- Instillation of access doors at each gable to enable access to eaves spaces

Two questions I have;

1. What type / s of materials should I be using for the boarding out (my initial thoughts are 18mm Chip for floor area & 12mm for sides & ceiling)

2. Are there any building regulations / local governance I should be aware of..?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated

Ross

Greetings Ross

A few thoughts.
Loft insulation - will there be enough room for this - maybe counter-batten over the joists to increase depth.
Joist size - strong enough to support loads and regular access without ceiling cracking.
Access to existing services - any electrics or plumbing need relocating.
Ventilation of under-tile void - are the eaves vents etc satisfactory.
This sort of job falls between two stools - most of us have a few boards down in the loft for informal storage. Others have a full loft conversion with full regulatory control on structure, insulation, fire control etc.
As far as I can see your materials specs seem adequate for some loft storage use - but if it's a chargeable job, make sure the client is happy with any compromises.

Dee

Hi Dee,

Thanks for the response big man.

Answers to your queries;

Insulation - Two layers of fibre glass style insulation - there is a small area already boarded out with the use of 4 x 2 timbers perpendicular to ceiling joist section of roof truss.

Joist size - it is a new build so has trussed roof meaning the ceiling span section of the truss is not very deep at all. 3 x 2 but would need to clarify actually.

Access - There is a flue at one gable which will need access doors - access to eaves and over garage loft space required also (house is an l-plan footprint)

Ventilation - GOOD POINT - I would say it is adequate at present but the area inside the truss that is required to be boarded may restrict airflow - food for thought

The area is going to used for general storage and eventually a scalextric, so not a habital space but an occaisional recreational space.

I just want to make sure I'm not 'kicking the buttocks' out of the materials and don't compromise the integrity of the truss strength.

Q - Are there any measures I can take to enable greater strength of the trusses or at least enable equalisation of strength at the end of installing all boarding etc...?

Ross

Hi Ross
Slight alarm bells ringing here...not sure what you mean by 'boarding out diagonal truss member' and 'compromising the integrity of the truss strength'. Assumed you'd already got clear space..... you're not removing any part of the existing truss are you? The chipboard materials you mention (which are great for lining out an existing space) are not good structural materials - especially in tension. Really if you're undertaking significant structural changes and/or making access points through the outer skin you're running into engineering calculations, building regulations and probably planning consent - you're definitely on the boundary of a full loft conversion.

Dee

I wouldnt even touch this without the correct building regs! I would not go cutting into trusses otherwise you may have a roof sitting on your head! trusses aint designed to really carry any weight on the cross members, certainly not when they are 3x2's. At the very least you will need to sister up with some beefier members, like maybe some 8x2's. But please consult an expert before you start! good luck dude

Back