LN No9...hot dog handle?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tnimble":3z4ssh9f said:
I can only reffer you to the Stanley and Bailey documentation on the plane.

Christian,
I guess we have a fundamentally different take on this plane. I consider the LN to be the superior, and now authoritative version for users. I emphasize: for users. Similarly, LN has made the #62 into a user plane. So while I find it to be interesting information that Leonard Bailey intended this or that, it is trivia as far as I am concerned.
The point is, the original poster is inquiring about LN planes that are for sale. The older ones HAVE the front knob, the newer ones do not.
-Andy

I find the discussion about the hotdog vs the knob interesting but, lacking a #9 or use of one, I cannot offer anything to the discussion.

Recently I began making hotdogs for sale for the LV LA Jack after many requests that followed my tutorials ..

Mk I: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTo ... 0LAJ1.html

Mk II: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTo ... 0pics.html

The link to the #9 comes in the form of one individual who purchased a hotdog for a LV LA Jack and now prefers using this to their LN #9, which only has the knob. While I am not in a position to make this comparison, I must say the the addition of a hotdog to a LA Jack transforms the plane on the shooting board into something closer to the Stanley #51 (which I do have to compare against).

Incidentally, how do you find the size of the LN hotdog? When I sized the LV hotdog I made it a comfortable length and width. At the time I did not have any idea of the dimensions of the LN hotdog. It turned out that mine is longer and wider (approx. 130mm long and about 35mm wide). I have been asked to make some for LN owners. What are the dimensions of the LN? Also can someone supply me with the thickness of the LN LA Jack sidewall? Thanks.

Regards from Perth

Derek

AHoman":3hc0p830 said:
I guess we have a fundamentally different take on this plane. I consider the LN to be the superior, and now authoritative version for users. ... So while I find it to be interesting information that Leonard Bailey intended this or that, it is trivia as far as I am concerned. ... The older ones HAVE the front knob, the newer ones do not.
The LN no 9 is now identical (except for very minor details and of course plane iron is differnt) to the full production Stanley no 9. With two identical planes would instructions and use not be the same? Why has LN dropped the front knob?

tnimble":3h8s6flv said:
Why has LN dropped the front knob?

I suspect that many users wanted the hotdog, but that the total cost of the plane was too high when the hotdog was a $50 add-on. By including the hotdog, the cost of manufacturing was decreased by not tapping the two holes (both sides) and by eliminating the front knob altogether. Many users preferred this front knob, which was more or less effective, depending on the height of the user's workbench. If the front knob had been useless to begin with, as you suggest, then LN would not have bothered to include it in the first place. As it stands, they will customize any #9 at the customer's request by adding the front knob. By not including it, or the tapped holes, they are able to keep the price point at a level that keeps their sales on target. That's my theory! And anyhow, I disagree with your judgement that the old planes are identical to the new ones. There are differences in materials, thicknesses, and machining that make the LN a superior tool for users.
-Andy

AHoman":204fyhnl said:
tnimble":204fyhnl said:

I suspect that many users wanted the hotdog, ... Many users preferred this front knob
A bit contradicting. But everybody has their own preference. Try a search on the net, you will find out there are original Stanley no 9 around with a custom fitter front knob.

If the front knob had been useless to begin with, as you suggest, then LN would not have bothered to include it in the first place.
Its not useless, its only not the best method of holding the plane. The only benefit it can add to the plane (esp. depeniding on hand size) is to have some more grib when holding the hotdog. One can place a finger tip at the bottom of the knob instead of placing one or more finger tips against the front inside casting.

As it stands, they will customize any #9 at the customer's request by adding the front knob.
They do not offer that as a standard service for no 9 block planes. LN is a very good manufacturer willing to do mods on request and make custom tools on request.

And anyhow, I disagree with your judgement that the old planes are identical to the new ones. There are differences in materials, thicknesses, and machining that make the LN a superior tool for users.
First you can't compare the quality of machined surfaces of a brand new tool agains an at least 70 year old (if you got one of the last produced planes) tool that has gone through probably decades of use, mostly stored poorly after that and often banged about until ending up on a flea market or ebay.

Second the size, construction, weight and weight distributing are the same.

After clean up, remachining some parts (te remove usage defects) and fitting a new iron (proably a A2 iron which also happens to be thicker) both planes have the same finish performance.

Derek - LN hotdog is 100mm long, max diam 28mm gently curved to 20mm at ends.

They are made of some sort of alloy with a grub screw fastening on one side in the middle.

Cannot help with LN jack sorry.

Rod

tnimble":yr4hpmvg said:
First you can't compare the quality of machined surfaces of a brand new tool agains an at least 70 year old (if you got one of the last produced planes) tool that has gone through probably decades of use, mostly stored poorly after that and often banged about until ending up on a flea market or ebay.

Christian,
As far as I can see, no one but you is concerned here about the original Stanley #9. The topic concerns the LN #9, and whether or not it is now sold with the hotdog (vs. front knob). I can even imagine advising anyone to go out and get an original #9, since their value to collectors is so high that the price is prohibitive to users, who will get more predictably superior results from the LN. Even if someone agreed with your assertion that the old ones are just as good as the LN, I doubt that you would advise anyone to go out and pick one up, since they are not readily available. If you've found one, good for you. If I had one, I'd sell it in a heartbeart and replace it with multiple newer, more functional planes. But this is really all off-topic. Enough said, right?
-Andy

tnimble":2din9rpw said:
AHoman":2din9rpw said:
tnimble":2din9rpw said:

I suspect that many users wanted the hotdog, ... Many users preferred this front knob
A bit contradicting. But everybody has their own preference.

Not contradictory at all! After all, there is more than one user/customer of this plane. As you said, everybody has their own preference. I have yet to hear of LN turning someone down when they asked for the holes for the knob to be tapped.

All LN tools have a small date stamp on the bottom of the box. Email LN and ask for the date of manufacture that the No. 9 included the hot dog so you can get your supplier to check stock.

I went through the same thing with the adjustable mouth version of the low angle jointer (January 2006 or later). Our local Woodcraft only had one dated back in 2005 because they don't sell very often.

Back