LN No9...hot dog handle?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
I see from the Axminster site that the No9 is not shown with the 'hot dog' handle. Probably an extremely stupid question, but is it sold with the plane or does it have to be bought separately? - Rob

Rob,

On the LN website it says of the hotdog handle It is shipped with the tool and can be purchased separately. It is compatible with older generation miter planes.

So it looks like it comes with it but can be purchased separately if you have an older plane without one.

But I'd 'phone Axminster just to be sure.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":15e8k7hz said:
But I'd 'phone Axminster just to be sure.
I recommend the same. If they are selling off old stock, you'll get the front side knob but not the hotdog; if you get a newer one, you'll get the hotdog with no knob (also, no tapped hole for a knob). On another forum there is a fellow who just sent his new #9 back for LN to tap a hole for a knob!
-Andy

AHoman":1jg4zuqh said:
On another forum there is a fellow who just sent his new #9 back for LN to tap a hole for a knob!
What knob would that be? The stanley no 9 has a rosewoos knob fitted to an extention as the back of the plane. Later models have an tapped hole in both sides to fit the nickel plated hotdog handle.

The LN (as per pictures on their site) has both knob and handle in cherry. Other than a difference in materials the LN is exactly as the original stanley production model.

Rob my #9 came with the old style handel (purchased before the hotdog was introduced.

I made a couple of hotdog handles (one for Philly) in an hour, and like to use both types at different times.

I would try to buy with the old stlyle and make the hotdog if you can still get the old style

Tony":23qdpj6w said:
I made a couple of hotdog handles (one for Philly) in an hour, and like to use both types at different times.

Hi Tony,

When you made the hotdogs did you just make them a tight friction fit on the side of the plane, or did you use any other mechanical means of fastening ?

I recently acquired a rather nice No9 on ebay from a certain guitar playing chap down on the south coast 8) but no hotdog included unfortunately :cry: so was going to resort to making my own when I've figured out how !

Cheers, Paul. :D

chisel":1i763pkl said:
Tony":1i763pkl said:
I recently acquired a rather nice No9 ... so was going to resort to making my own when I've figured out how !
If it's a Stanley no 9 without a hotdog handle you have a very early and valuble block plane. Either don't do anything with it or use it by holding the casting directly. (the very first batch of the no 9 from Leonard Bailey himself did not have any handle nor any knob) If the hotdog handle is just missing get a reproduction or antique nickel plated handle or make your own wooden one (any dense wood will do). You can identify if the handles are missing because of two threaded holes at both sides. The handle slides over the casting and is secured with a screw. A pressure fit handle will work but only when its the full length of the inside of the plane.

Hi Christian, nothing old and rare I'm afraid, just a recent day LN No9, but very nice all the same ! :D Will see if I can get time at the weekend to sort out a hotdog and look at whether I can make it full length as you suggest.

Paul, think you must have got me mixed up with someone else surely :wink: :lol:

Only problem is I've now spent the budget meant for some of those nice Blue Spruce parers ala Lord Nibbo which I was thinking about for West Dean later in the month as an early birthday present :(

Cheers, Paul :D

chisel":3sb3c6uj said:
Hi Christian, nothing old and rare I'm afraid, just a recent day LN No9, but very nice all the same ! :D Will see if I can get time at the weekend to sort out a hotdog and look at whether I can make it full length as you suggest.
The LN hotdog is also screwed on normally. The screw is fitted from the inside up to the wall of the side of the plane (or would that be the top/bottom with the blade through the side?)

The handle to make is about the same as the length as the wall it slides over. The diameter of the handle is in between a third and half the heigth of the wall it slips over.

chisel":2bllkxf1 said:
Hi Tony,

When you made the hotdogs did you just make them a tight friction fit on the side of the plane, or did you use any other mechanical means of fastening ?

Cheers, Paul. :D

Second hand #9? Nice one :D

I made it a friction fit and filed a sort of thumb indent on the front edge - I often use it with the hotdog and the original knob on at the same time as the knob allows me to push the plane forward more easily with thumb around it, and the hotdog helps me to pull the plane towards the shooting board

Hotdog1_medium.JPG

hotdog3_medium.JPG

I bought mine at Xmas time - it came with the metal hotdog only so I think the chances of getting an old type are now very slim?

Rod

tnimble":38ushhcj said:
What knob would that be? [...]
The LN (as per pictures on their site) has both knob and handle in cherry.

I'm not sure which site you are viewing. On the LN site, you can see that the knob on the side of the front of the plane is now gone. The hotdog, which used to be optional, is now included as standard. If an online store is depicting the #9 with the front knob, either they have not updated their pics, or they are selling old stock.
-Andy

Actually, just a thought, but I would be unhappy with just the hotdog handle and often prefer the original handle

AHoman":1m2w6pu8 said:
I'm not sure which site you are viewing. On the LN site, you can see that the knob on the side of the front of the plane is now gone. The hotdog, which used to be optional, is now included as standard. If an online store is depicting the #9 with the front knob, either they have not updated their pics, or they are selling old stock.
-Andy
My point was that the versions of LN which did had the front knob are the odd ones. Leonard intended the plane to be held by the casting itself. No knobs at all.

The knob at the back was later added to prevent your hands getting nicked by the back of the blade. The hotdog was added to give more heft to the side of the plane.

When using the no 9. one hand should thrust the plane forward from the back. To get more siewards pressure on the shooting board use the hotdog handle.

The knob at the front that is screwed in the side (or top/bottom depending on how you see the normal plane's orientation) was added by some users as a custom mod and LN 'copied' that on the first models. Why did mister Bailey not have that front knob? The knob is far above the center weight point of the plane. On the shooting board this tends to tilt the plane unless you also press down to compensate. More force needed more firction, less controll.

tnimble":29mjcyaz said:
AHoman":29mjcyaz said:
-Andy
My point was that the versions of LN which did had the front knob are the odd ones. Leonard intended the plane to be held by the casting itself. No knobs at all.

The knob at the back was later added to prevent your hands getting nicked by the back of the blade. The hotdog was added to give more heft to the side of the plane.

When using the no 9. one hand should thrust the plane forward from the back. To get more siewards pressure on the shooting board use the hotdog handle.

The knob at the front that is screwed in the side (or top/bottom depending on how you see the normal plane's orientation) was added by some users as a custom mod and LN 'copied' that on the first models. Why did mister Bailey not have that front knob? The knob is far above the center weight point of the plane. On the shooting board this tends to tilt the plane unless you also press down to compensate. More force needed more firction, less controll.

I don't believe the knob (or the hot dog handle for that matter) were put there to increase the users ability to apply "sideways" pressure. They are to ease the pushing of the plane to and fro. Using either the knob or the hot dog handle to apply sideways pressure will result in tipping of the plane.

Personally I always preferred the knob.

I've always thought the No9 a bit overrated, so I sold mine and bought a Philly Mitre - just as good, at a fraction of the price.

cheers

Karl

tnimble":1goastuv said:

This doesn't make any sense to me. I think you are saying that one should use two hands to push the #9 on the shooting board, one at the rear and one on the hotdog, which is not possible uless the wood is clamped (which is isn't on most shooting boards)

I have tried pushing te plane from the rear and this does not work well at all - on the LN, both the front knob and the hotdog are positioned nicely to allow the user to apply pressure where the blade meets the wood

karl":19dxeeer said:
I don't believe the knob (or the hot dog handle for that matter) were put there to increase the users ability to apply "sideways" pressure. They are to ease the pushing of the plane to and fro.
I can only reffer you to the Stanley and Bailey documentation on the plane.
Using either the knob or the hot dog handle to apply sideways pressure will result in tipping of the plane.
The hotdog is just above the weight center, a front knob even higher and puts load effort on the plane.

Personally I always preferred the knob.

I've always thought the No9 a bit overrated, so I sold mine and bought a Philly Mitre - just as good, at a fraction of the price.
:)

Tony":19dxeeer said:
This doesn't make any sense to me. I think you are saying that one should use two hands to push the #9 on the shooting board, one at the rear and one on the hotdog, which is not possible uless the wood is clamped (which is isn't on most shooting boards)
No, as stated that would centainly not work or would be very counter productive to re-clamp the piece after each stroke. (Unless the board is somehow spring loaded)

I have tried pushing te plane from the rear and this does not work well at all - on the LN, both the front knob and the hotdog are positioned nicely to allow the user to apply pressure where the blade meets the wood
The rear knob is not meant to be grabbed like with the knob of a bench plane. The knob is to prevent the hand from getting nicked from the back of the blade. Your fingers and fonrt of the palm should rest on the lever cap with the knob at the back ( near the wrist) of palm.

Amongst all the planes I currently have there is no no 9 otherwise I could me an demonstrate photo.

Latest posts

Back