Little boxes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark sanger

Established Member
Reaction score
Malvina Reynolds pops to mind.

Any way here a few few boxes Ash, Spalted beech, and beech.

Biggest is about 5 inch dia smallest about 2.5 inches dia.

I am a bit addicted to making boxes at the moment and have been roughing out quite a few this week.

STA70863edwi.jpg

STA70865edwi.jpg

STA70867edwi.jpg

STA70866edwi.jpg

Lovely looking pieces Mark. I like making boxes but as I use mainly green wood I don't do many. Just got a load of dry wood given so maybe I will get the chance. Interesting to see you doing this sort of thing and the bowls as we tend to get stereotyped and you are the 'oriental' man LOL

Pete

Bodrighy":3iyuu4wn said:
Lovely looking pieces Mark. I like making boxes but as I use mainly green wood I don't do many. Just got a load of dry wood given so maybe I will get the chance. Interesting to see you doing this sort of thing and the bowls as we tend to get stereotyped and you are the 'oriental' man LOL

Pete

Thanks Pete

There were roughed out initially from green wood, ( apart from the punky spalted beech one.

In relation to the oriental man.

These are based on Japanese tea caddies so the shape is hundreds of years old.

How long between roughing the green wood and being able to finish a box? I know how long is a piece of string LOL but if it is fairly quick I was thinking I have a load of wet cherry and laburnum that I keep looking at and some would make lovely little boxes if cut right but both tend to be bad for splitting so I've left as logs

pete

Bodrighy":20e9xva7 said:
How long between roughing the green wood and being able to finish a box? I know how long is a piece of string LOL but if it is fairly quick I was thinking I have a load of wet cherry and laburnum that I keep looking at and some would make lovely little boxes if cut right but both tend to be bad for splitting so I've left as logs

pete

It depends.

Fresh wood I would leave them for about 6 months and finish them off in my airing cupboard.

I even rough seasoned wood just to make sure they settle. these I also leave in the airing cupboard for a few days before finishing.

My wife goes mad when they fall out on opening the door. :lol: :lol:

Hi Mark,

These are all lovely.

Nice to see a different object from you, reminds me that you're a woodturner of various talents, like most others.

There is just so much stuff that can be turned it's incredible.

I've hardly scratched the surface myself.

Once again, nice boxes Mark.

Cheers,

Lee.

Lovely group of boxes, Mark. I particularly like the ash one.

Regarding making boxes from green wood, I have tried this and rough turned them very green, then left them in shavings for a few months, then moved them to the airing cupboard for a few more months. It's not a particularly successful method as many woods move a lot from being green to being very dry - and in an object like a small box, this can mean it's very difficult to re-chuck the item, or impossible to make into a box as the wood has moved too much to leave enough thickness once lid and box have been re-trued. I have a couple of boxes with impractically thin flanges and side walls because of this :-(

The only woods I've been successful rough turning into boxes very green are straight-grained ash, birch, and sycamore. Holly, cherry, hawthorn & apple are a disaster (all splitting badly) with this method, and oak just moves far too much. It's a shame really as hollowing them out is much quicker when the wood is very green :)

A better method (as Mark suggests) is to cut the green wood into suitable sized blanks, seal the ends, then either leave to air dry for at least six months before rough turning and then putting in the airing cupboard to finish off the drying, or to hurry the process up you can go from green blank straight into the airing cupboard for a couple of months - but expect to lose a quite few blanks to splitting or massive distortion if you use this method.

One tip I've found very useful with woods with a lot of "character" ie inset pith from side branches, knots etc is to rough turn the box, then apply copious quantities of thin superglue (the 4 for a pound type you get in pound shops) to any visible defect in the wood, both sides of the defect, before leaving the roughed item to dry. This seems to stop cracks developing around the defect and because it's been done to the rough turned box, you cut away any superglue stained wood as you finish turn, so it doesn't effect the look of the finished item.

Hi all

Thank you for your comments.

Lee

thank you. I try to make as much a cross section of work as I can. I have found that this helps with sales as some people don;t like lidded forms, bowls or platters and it helps me have more than one crack at the whip.

Paul

No finial for these as I want to keep them as simple as possible in line with the forms I based them on.

Kym

Thank you a while before they are up to your standard.

jpt

Thank you very much.

Hi Chris

I hope you are well.

thanks for the comments. They are not as good as they could be as the grain is a bit out of alignment due to removing too much for the lid spigots.

I think every one is being kind to me. :)

I must try harder. :D

But they are a fun project and you can use up lots of off cuts.

I like the boxes.
Can you post piccies of the inside of the boxes. As Ever, looking for inspiration and working out how to do all these things, to have a go myself
Cheers
Colin

Hi Colin

Several people have asked for pictures of the inside but I have not had time to do any. I hopefully will do tomorrow, but I have been a bit busy today roughing more boxes, and finishing other work. Which I will also hopefully post tomorrow.

I have to say that there are some good box makes on the forum who could probably help you out more than me.

George Watkins and Kym ( techno.mage).

The inside of these boxes follow the outside from but are more rounded in the base.

I will endeavour to get some piccies tomorrow.

Back