Lining for a jewelery box?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodAddict

Established Member
Reaction score
Not strictly wood working but I thought this were the best place for this.

I've been looking for some lining material for my jewellery box project. I seem to remember seeing some "sticky-back" velvet stuff somewhere but now I can't seem to find it anywhere :?

I've found this flocked paper stuff on ebay http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=stic ... m270.l1313 but not sure of what it's like as it says you can print with it I expect it to be a bit too much like the texture of paper? Has anybody used anything similar before or can recommend another material?

Thanks [/url]

I've lined a couple of jewelry boxes at one time and used decent quality green baize...the sort of stuff you find on a snooker table. I also once inlaid the surface of a card table with the stuff. I made some inserts out of thick cardboard and wrapped the baize round it, mitering it at the corners and tucking it round the reverse side. It will glue quite well with a very thin smear of PVA glue but don't use too much or it'll bleed through. The best way I found to set it onto the cardboard was with a cabinet makers iron...an essential bit of kit in any 'shop - Rob

I've always found it interesting that working with machines that cut wood or metal is for Men, it's completely acceptable to play with a circular saw or a lathe; yet sewing is clearly Women's Work - despite the fact that a sewing machine is just another type of machine that requires an inordinate amount of setting up, fettling and faffing about with, and is quite capable of inflicting significant damage to fingers that stray too close to the "sharp end".

Not that I would ever be seen dead sewing, mind you.

Richard D":3n7bmbzb said:
I've always found it interesting that working with machines that cut wood or metal is for Men, it's completely acceptable to play with a circular saw or a lathe; yet sewing is clearly Women's Work - despite the fact that a sewing machine is just another type of machine that requires an inordinate amount of setting up, fettling and faffing about with, and is quite capable of inflicting significant damage to fingers that stray too close to the "sharp end".

Not that I would ever be seen dead sewing, mind you.
I used to use a sewing machine a lot years ago to make kites...ripstop nylon is tricky stuff to sew and using a sewing machine accurately is also not easy. Come to think of it, I've still got a big Hawaiian kite that I made in the loft - Rob

To answer the question more directly, I've had very good results with Suede-Tex. Turner's retreat stock it. It's a Blue Goo that you paint on, then flock it with Blue Dust to match. Loads of different colours available. It's not cheap, but a little goes a long way.

S

Thanks guys.

Hobby Craft was mention by someone else too earlier. There's a big one in Nottingham that can be on the way home if I take a little diversion. I'll try there tomorrow or Thursday and let you know how I get on.

for a really classy finish I would use leather to line it.

You can pick up pieces of a suitable size on ebay easily:

here

or

here

Or, you can contact http://www.almahome.co.uk/index.htm and buy a whole hide of pretty much any colour for about £40.

Simply stick to heavy card (back a refil pad etc) with copydex or similar. I think use double sided tape to fix in box.

Best of luck, look forward to the photos.
Simon

Back