Lime

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMcK

Established Member
Reaction score
We had a storm in August which brought down most of a very large Lime tree. I know it is considered to be a good wood for carving but curious as to any other uses eg.turning.

Any thoughts on it?

Thanks.

It does turn quite well, but has a featureles appearance in terms of grain structure.
Carvers like it because it is mechanically soft so cuts easily and has a uniform and generally straight grain without irregular annual growth rings.

Whatever you do, it will need careful billeting and drying, otherwise you will have some very nice firewood.

Thanks for that. I have used it before as firewood but it needs to be mixed with other wood to get any result as it burns very brightly without much heat on its own.

It's just that this time there is a lot of it. :shock:

I should add that branch wood is generally no good for turning because it grows with built-in stresses that sometime come out after it's cut.
Carvers will usually seek out, and pay for, good quality, straight-grained trunk heartwood.
If you plank it, don't go over 3" thick at the most. Larger carved pieces in the round will be made up of laminated sections glued together.
I usually prefer 2" pieces for carving.

Thanks for the comments. The tree had three trunks growing from the main base. It reached 80 feet. Two of the trunks came down and each is fairly massive.

Might try to find a carver who would like to have them. I'm currently cutting up the branches for firewood. As you said,Argus,they aren't much use for anything else. All in all it is quite a big job and I will also have to bring the remaining trunk down. The main trunk is between 1.5 and 2 metres in diameter and the remaining "shoot" still towers about 80 feet. Need a longer chainsaw. :shock:

Will probably get a tree surgeon to do the necessary as it isn't really something to treat casually. :shock: :D

Lime is a carver's dream and was a major factor in the brilliant work of Grinling Gibbons in C17th.
It's not strong, it's not durable and has a very uninteresting appearance. But just try carving it. :D

I was away on business for a week recently and left my car parked under a lime tree. What a mess! The ultra soft and sweet lime tree leaves drip and also attract greenfly which in turn attract birds...the rest I'll leave to your imagination!

Whilst lime is rather featureless I think it has applications in certain furniture. I think because it cuts & shapes so well in all directions (hence its carving reputation) it may well suit the 20s / 30s style pieces with lots of curves. I know fruitwoods were used mainly (Pear for example) but lime could be very good I think, and personally I don't always want the grain to be a strong feature - more looking at colour and texture. This kind of thing (which isn't lime I know), in Museum of Decorative Arts, Paris:
chair.jpg

Attachments

• chair.jpg
    chair.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 58
Back