Light Machine Oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulH

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just acquired a Tormek T7 (OK, gloat over!) and the tube of honing paste that comes with it suggests that I should "Impregnate the leather (on the honing wheel) with light machine oil before the first use."

Anyone any guidance on what I should use, i.e. what constitutes "light machine oil"?

Thanks,
Paul.

The 3-in-1 stuff seems to be a popular choice in my experience. Perhaps even something like WD-40 might do?

Sewing machine oil is another option. Someone else suggested I use this on my oil stones and I haven't looked back since.

I'd agree with Sewing Machine Oil - if only because the wife always has some........

Liquid paraffin for me too.......

Can also get it at agricultural merchants or equine supplies places as horse owners use it for something but not sure I want to know what !!!

Cheers, Paul. :D

Yes. I use Liquid Paraffin BP. The pharmacist in the Tesco pharmacy was adamant that there were 'better solutions' for 'the problem' and I'm sure she wasn't convinced about just using it on the strop wheel.

My Tormek is one of the older models and came with a stropping wheel that seems to be made of 1/2 inch thick 'rubber' - like the solid tyres on old prams. I've never managed to find any usage hints for this, but paraffin oil certain doesn't soak in. I bought a modern leather wheel and now use that, but does anybody have ideas or suggestions on using the original rubber wheel?

MisterFish

Latest posts

Back