Lifting MDF (or aaagghhh!!!....my backs gone pop!!)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeddedhed

Established Member
Reaction score
Being a regular user of MDF sheets, mostly 18mm, sometimes 25mm and normally Medite (generally a bit heavier than Caber I believe) with a somewhat injury - prone back and shoulder I was wondering if any of you had any ideas of an easier way of lifting MDF sheets from the usual stacked position (stacked on long edge against the wall) onto a bench. Bench height is approx 850mm (ish).

I used to do this by just sliding the board over to the bench and then bending down, grabbing the bottom edge and then a big heave and tipping it onto the bench. Turns out that this is the best way to compress discs in your back and tear your rotator cuff, both of which I've now done at least three times in the last 2 years. Some of you will observe that I'm slow to learn certain lessons. Others will understand that when deadlines for jobs are approaching we regularly tell ourselves that "it'll be OK - I need to get this finished, so here goes" and then then indeed something does go and you're left wandering around like the living dead with your arm hanging uselessly by your side and cursing the tedium of daytime TV while you try and speed up your healing.

Anyway, if anyone has come up with a device or knows of a bit of kit that would aid this then I'd love to know.

I thought of some kind of long (800mm) footplate somehow fixed to a vertical stand that could be jacked up thus tipping the sheet onto the bench but that;s about as far as I got.

I've used one of these for years, it's excellent but will only take up to 18mm, I'm sure you could make it take wider boards or maybe there's one out there that will. Google 'panel carrier'. You'll have to get the edge of the panel up off the floor fist, but all I do is lift one end and shove a block under with my foot, that then gives enough room at the centre of the panel to get the hook under the edge.
http://www.spear-and-jackson.com/produc ... el-carrier

+1 for the Panel lifter. I got mine from Axminster. They really do make a difference. Having said that 25mm MDF is beyond what one person should be lifting on their own.

Something like this perhaps...

Panel-moving-shuttle-small.jpg

http://www.workbenchmagazine.com/main/w ... ddy03.html

Jack

Attachments

• Panel-moving-shuttle-small.jpg
    Panel-moving-shuttle-small.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 299
david123":1bsz7oe1 said:
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=jig+for+carying+mdf+sheets&sm=3

Or a cheaper way

Just checked the link and for some reason it wouldn't work for me. You can find it by typing " how to Carry a sheet of plywood by yourself"
in youtube.
That's a great idea and one I shall use because my back has gone again! Thanks for sharing.
Regards Keith

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm particularly liking the role wheelie thingy Jack posted.
First thing is to try out one of the many board lifters (seem cheap enough) and then maybe have a go at the full on device.
Once again thanks one and all.

Pete

Pete,
Just back from a trip to God's own country (Liverpool) so a bit late on the post.
I inherited a board carrier that I'm highly unlikely to use so if you want it for just the cost of the carriage its yours.
If you do, give me a shout and I'll rummage it out tomorrow.
Glynne

Glynne, that's extremely generous of you.
Is it one of these? (or similar)
Screenshot 2014-11-24 20.24.44.png

If so I'd be extremely grateful.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-11-24 20.24.44.png
    Screenshot 2014-11-24 20.24.44.png
    76.9 KB · Views: 209
Yes it is.
I'm pretty sure I know where it is so I'll have root in the morning. It isn't very heavy so the carriage should be only a few quid but I'll PM to let you know.

I appreciate there are lots of lifters on the market but why not make your own. I had 25 sheets of 19mm ply delivered for my workshop floor and had to carry them some distance from where the lorries Hiab dropped them, having moved one I thought there must be a simpler way and came up with this, it took ten minutes to knock up ut of offcuts and has lasted ages

I have considered hinging the bottom section to assist in getting sheets flat on the bench for cutting but not got round to it

If I were to consider buying one it would be one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roughneck-Goril ... B004ISVQW6

Unless I am mistaken, I think we have all lost sight of the original problem (even the OP!). This is what I took away from the OP..

I used to do this by just sliding the board over to the bench and then bending down, grabbing the bottom edge and then a big heave and tipping it onto the bench. Turns out that this is the best way to compress discs in your back and tear your rotator cuff, both of which I've now done at least three times in the last 2 years.

With the exception of Jack (W)'s excellent suggestion, all others are addressing the problem carrying the sheet from A to B. Not the physical act of lifting it up from the floor and onto the bench which is what the OP seems to suggest. I would also suggest that for anyone with a bad back then all of those panel lifters are not going to help as they are placing an asymmetric load on the body.

Back to the original problem. Let's turn it on its head. Why do you need to get the board onto the bench? What process are you then carrying out there? If you are cutting it down to size with, say, a track saw then do what I do and lay a sheet of Kingspan (or similar) on the floor and lay the sheet down on that to cut it up.

The other thought is to go and ask your physio for advice on the best way/best anatomical movement of achieving what you want to do.

Cheers

Roger (who hates working with any large sheets of MDF or ply)

Woodchips2":zc2ihv54 said:
david123":zc2ihv54 said:
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=jig+for+carying+mdf+sheets&sm=3

Or a cheaper way

Just checked the link and for some reason it wouldn't work for me. You can find it by typing " how to Carry a sheet of plywood by yourself"
in youtube.
That's a great idea and one I shall use because my back has gone again! Thanks for sharing.
Regards Keith

You are welcome Keith

Go with jacks . I looked into loads ever since slipping my discs . I even built a flip top bench a long time ago before my back went. I used two triton stands and built a frame so you just laid the sheet against the frame and the whole thing flipped up . I may have posted pics here you will have to search

RogerS":2xthofn8 said:
Unless I am mistaken, I think we have all lost sight of the original problem (even the OP!). This is what I took away from the OP..

I used to do this by just sliding the board over to the bench and then bending down, grabbing the bottom edge and then a big heave and tipping it onto the bench. Turns out that this is the best way to compress discs in your back and tear your rotator cuff, both of which I've now done at least three times in the last 2 years.

With the exception of Jack (W)'s excellent suggestion, all others are addressing the problem carrying the sheet from A to B. Not the physical act of lifting it up from the floor and onto the bench which is what the OP seems to suggest. I would also suggest that for anyone with a bad back then all of those panel lifters are not going to help as they are placing an asymmetric load on the body.

Back to the original problem. Let's turn it on its head. Why do you need to get the board onto the bench? What process are you then carrying out there? If you are cutting it down to size with, say, a track saw then do what I do and lay a sheet of Kingspan (or similar) on the floor and lay the sheet down on that to cut it up.

The other thought is to go and ask your physio for advice on the best way/best anatomical movement of achieving what you want to do.

Cheers

If there is a handle within arm's reach, with which to lift the board, then surely the OP will not have to bend down to grab the bottom of it thus putting his back at risk.

nanscombe":2tss9ewr said:
RogerS":2tss9ewr said:

Cheers

If there is a handle within arm's reach, with which to lift the board, then surely the OP will not have to bend down to grab the bottom of it thus putting his back at risk.

I don't think that is the case. If he is lifting the board correctly then he will be using his legs and a straight back and so all the major muscles are correctly used. But my interpretation of the OP is that that causes him problems.

If you have a handle then that is even worse, surely, as you will already be standing and so you're going to put a huge strain on the back and shoulders as you lift the board up.

Back