Lie Nielson Squirrel Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luthier49

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought I`d show off my new baby. Aint he sweet ? lovely bushy tail, easy to look after, nibbles on wood.

Seriously though, I had to do a little fettling with this one. The blade bed was`nt machined parallel with the sole. The blade was ground perfectly square, but when mounted in the plane, too much blade projected on one side of the sole. This projection could`nt be elliminated by offsetting the blade to one side either. I had to regrind the blade slightly on the skew to get an even blade projection. Is LN quality slipping here ? I have recorded the settings on my grinding equipment so I can reproduce the grind again when needed. I purchased this plane for shaving guitar soundboard and back braces to size.

It`s a lovely tool to hold and use. I just might take it to bed with me. :oops:

LNModelmakerPlane.jpg

Hello Philly

It`s the flat sole version. I have`nt checked to see if the convex sole version is suitable for archtop guitar carving. If it is, that wil be on the to get list. I use the large Ibex plane for that job but the LN will be just nice for the final smoothing cuts hollowing out archtop tops and backs.

Hello labuzz

That is going to be one killer guitar. I like the design, great upper fret access. I`m starting to build my first steel string acoustic guitar. I`ve got some top notch quilted maple for the back and sides. Getting all the jigs and other equipment ready for the build. Roll on Spring. :)

Latest posts

Back