lidl scrollsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Weegie said:
BE AWARE. This machine does not have a drop foot. :shock: In my opinion this is unacceptable the wood would bounce up and down.

I think you will find most people take the foot and guard off as they gets in the way. I have only had a problem with the wood bouncing when I have accidentally put a blade in upside down. :wink:

I haven't been able to take the saw back to Lidl due to the snow up here. However the guy in Lidl said that If it is not suitable I can bring it back.

I purchased the SIP model that you have shown, last year and it has worked brilliantly for me and is still going strong. The reason I bought the Lidl one was because of the warranty of 3 years, However I wouldn't feel comfortable using it without a drop foot. Maybe the more experienced scrollers wouldn't bother with a drop foot, but for me it is a must.

I will probably save my money up and buy an axminster machine or Scheppach.

Mouse. I don't use the blade guard either. However when I am cutting wood, a lot of the time the wood will bounce up resulting in blade breakage Sometimes narrowly missing my fingers. To prevent this I have had to press the wood down onto the plate which makes it difficult to turn the wood.

How do you manage.

Your work should not lift from the table as you cut. Sometimes beginners encounter this because they try to turn the wood too sharply and the teeth of the blade bind. However, I would still advise against using the hold-down because having the workpiece slam down on your fingers a couple of times is a forcible reminder to be more careful! It's not as if it's going to hurt you badly and you will improve your technique much more quickly. Bad technique puts strain on the blades and reduces their longevity; reliance on the hold-down just compounds this.

If an experienced scroller is still suffering from the workpiece lifting, I would suggest checking that the table is square against the blade. Although a tilted table shouldn't make a difference, in practice there is less leeway when making tighter turns and the workpiece has an increased tendency to lift. If the table is found to be square, it could be that the upper and lower arms are misaligned. That, of course, is much more serious and indicates that the machine will require proper servicing.

Apart from putting the blade in upside down :roll:, putting pressure on the blade instead of letting the blade do the work will cause it to bounce.This can be compounded when a blade is past its best, if it dosnt cut with light pressure the blade is blunt , putting side pressure on the blade will also cause overheating and brakage. And what Gill says whilst I was typing :)
HTH

Did anyone get the circular saw at £29.99?

If so is it anygood?

Worth me getting to help start my workshop up?

Thanks

Mark

Latest posts

Back