Lidded form

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark sanger

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

This piece is something I have gotten ready for a visit to Berkshire tomorrow.

It made of beech, hollowed, textured, scorched with an offset hole, lid and finial.

Around 5 inches x 5 inches.

comments welcome.

IMG_0266inst.jpg

Hi Mark,
Yet another very nice piece of work, I take it in the title that this is a lidded form as I cannot think how you could hollow this out with the hole off center.

Spasm

Hi all

Thank you for your comments.

Spasm

You are right. Box making techniques are used but instead of making a box lid you slice the front off and insert/glue back into the form once hollowed. The only part that lifts off is the small dark lid and finial as the insert is glued in.

I have to confess I am all for an easy life as selling pieces they have to be made as efficiently as possible.

thank you all again

Traditional Mark Sanger LOL. Usual quality of design and finish . Is the finial wood or have you made it from Fimo?

Pete

simply one of the most pleasing artistic pieces I have seen - up there with the best on that basis.

it's difficult to get a take on the contribution made by the wood from the photo; I suspect there's a richness and an element of grain - but this may just be wishful thinking!

it's also clever, in that it challenges you to consider how it came to be - no doubt heightened when handling.

only possible downside for me is size - looking at it here it looks to me to be more like 10 x 10. Now clearly there are no reference elements so it's my subconscious coming up with the dimensions based on what it thinks it should be for the form etc. I would however make room for it at 5 x 5 :)

Hi all

Thanks for the comments.

Pete

The finial is beech, that has been scorched. I rarely turn exotics now as I like to utilise native woods and beech allows me to scorch it without loosing shape ( if I am careful on small pieces).

Not toched the plymer clay for some time as for simple finials like this one it is quicker to cut them out of wood on a scroll saw.

Jumps

Thank you

There is a beautiful riches to the top section of beech. One of the issues with no reference item next to a piece is gauging size for me also. I very rarely make anything over 8 inches dia these days ( apart from platters) and this size sells readily due to people having shelves small enough to fit them onto.

Cris

Thank you it is one of my favourites next to the chilli one I do.

Back