Library shelves

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, that's the first time I've ever seen that done. They show up the sag in that centre section of shelving really nicely!! :)

In which case (your pictures) their intentions for furnishing and hanging of paintings will be relevant.

It may be worth visiting a few classic libraries such as Blenheim Palace and the Bodlean. I always admire the double height ones with a gallery. If they have ancient books in the collection, then a nod to the chain racks (to prevent theft before printing presses became common) and reading slopes might be interesting.

Very interesting project. I hope you will be allowed to post some pictures.

One of my forthcoming jobs includes designing a private library. This will be in solid timber, and I am curious as to whether or not there are timbers to avoid. Do any timbers (or any finishes) react with books?
I have found this site useful to determine thickness of shelf required for specific types of wood
https://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/

You can avoid spending megabucks on solid wood shelving by using torsion boxes. I've posted elsewhere about using flush doors which can be cut down and re strengthened by glueing in a batten between the cut outer skins. Otherwise you can use 18 mm wood let into a dado in 40 -50 mm battens front and back although this will produce a 'lip' .
Have a look at the 'sagulator ' which calculates deflection due to a load - something that looks awful in any bookcase !

Erm.....take a look at the photos on the previous page and see if A/ a torsion box would be suitable for the style of library, and B/ whether saving money is anywhere on the list of criteria for this project. Those photos really are representative of the scale and style of this project.

If you'd read the thread you'd see that the sagulator has already been posted about multiple times.

One tip, if using Tonk strip, don't skimp and use the cheap clips. We had several shelves fall under the weight of encyclopedias and coffee-table books - surprisingly dense (the books I mean!). Around the start of lockdown we swapped out all the clips for the robust folded ones, available from the usual suspects in a range of finishes. There's a thread about it. We only have one wall - the fireplace one, with four bays altogether. The bookshelves go down to dado rail height, and the space below hides the radiators, which have the advantage of stopping damp getting to the books. There's room in front of the rads for small objects like CDs. When we planned it I was worried they would get too dry, but that hasn't proven to be the case. The cupboards also hide the floor vents for the fireplace air supply.

We do have veneered + edged MDF shelves, and they haven't really sagged very much. That said I do flip them over occasionally - probably every couple of years. I'm glad of them as the movement from changes in temp and humidity is a problem we don't really have to worry about.

Last edited:
What a marvellous opportunity! There are so many beautiful libraries to look at for inspiration.
If your design happens to need anything like an issue desk, (I guess not, but never mind... ;-)) it gives me an excuse to post this picture of one in the New York public library. I thought it was an interesting example of what could once have been specified and paid for, as being good enough for the general public to use.

IMG_20181108_110315499.jpg

Last edited:
The answer to your initial question will depend largely on whether the owner of the books has any interest in the long-term conservation of their collection? I went down this rabbit-hole a few months ago looking into the storage of coins for a collector and my conclusion was that it was best to gently walk away!

There are good resources, now online (search for Oddy test), that will tell you what is suitable (or not) if conservation is a factor to be taken into consideration. Museums and libraries are taking this stuff quite seriously now and they seem to be sharing most of their knowledge. As I say though, it can be a bit of a rabbit hole!

Back